Bgsa Hop Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a Belgian Golden Strong Ale tomorrow morning similar to Duvel. I have read several different recipes and am confused about which hopping schedule to use. Current schedule @

50g Stryian Goldings at 60 minutes
14 Saaz at 20 minutes
10 Saaz at 5 minutes for

Overall IBU 27

Any ideas or suggestions.

Cheers,

Jj

how big is the beer ur og malts used all helps

Recipe on another computer, but this is the gist of it. Cane sugar added last 10 minutes of boil as I do not have the sack to add during primary

4.7 pilsner weyermann 1.7
.5 kg Carapils
1 kg Cane sugar
50g Stryrian Goldings 4.4% 60 minutes
Saaz 3.3% 20 minutes
Saaz 3.3% 5 minutes

Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast 1388

Est OG 1076
IBU 27.4
3.8 SRM

Cheers,

JJ

Looks very nice to me, jj. :icon_drool2: Those hops are a really common choice as I guess you know. I doubt the yeast will have a problem eating through that gravity wort so adding it in the boil should be fine IMO. Just make sure to keep the temperature up at least in the low 20s or that yeast can slow right down if it gets too cold, even though it'll get there in the end. What mash temp are you going for?

Thats similiar to what I've planned but today I was toying with the idea of using the styrian later as well maybe as a flavour addition. Either way I think it would be pretty good..

What mash temp are you going for?

I plan on mashing around 64 so it is dryish and more fermentable
was toying with the idea of using the styrian later as well maybe as a flavour addition

That was on of the main reasons I am questioning this schedule.

Cheers,

JJ

Latest posts

Back