Best Weizenbier Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crundle

I like beer
Reaction score
Been asked to make a Weizenbier for an outing in late November, and was wondering if anyone could point me to a good Weizenbier kit to make.

Never made one before obviously, so are there any special things to remember when making these? Is there a minimum time the beer should be left before drinking?

The beer will be kegged and served through a miracle box if that is any help.

Cheers,

Crundle

2 key things to making a weizen:

- You need wheat malt. I would use a wheat beer kit of some sort, and a tin of wheat LME.
- You need to use a liquid yeast, Wyeast 3068 is a good one. Ferment around 20C, keep it under control.

Weizens are best fresh... as soon as primary is finished, carbonate and serve.

Thanks, will keep that in mind about the yeast, and it is good to hear it wont need to sit for too long to be used, I'm sure it will disappear fairly quickly too!

The ESB 3kg tin of Bavarian Wheat is just fantastic.

I've got about 10 brews bottled and tasting at the moment (including fresh worts) and this one keeps coming up as everyone's favourite.

Had a look in brewcraft today while I was getting my third keg (yay!)

Saw several that looked ok, still not absolutely sure what to buy, but I have a few weeks to worry about that.

You should be trying out a kit or two now so you know what to make for the outing especially now you have the extra keg!

Only pushing you as I'm interested as well, but won't be starting any brewing until early Nov and if you have a good one sorted makes it easier for me :)

+1 for the ESB 3kg Wheat kit. A no brainer and just lovely
(and no it doesnt taste like a pancake :D )

Sounds good to me. Does anyone know where I can get this from in the south of Adelaide? I will do some googling, but if anyone knows where to get it in the south, it would be appreciated, cheers!

Edit: I found it at the Jovial Monks in Parkside, can get that on my way to work on Monday, so no drama there.

Looking forward to making my first wheat beer.

I wish my brain would keep up with my typing, but with the ESB kit, do I use the yeast that comes with it (assuming it has some), or do I use the Wyeast 3068?

I just put down a batch of:

1x 1.7kg Golden Sheaf Wheat
1x 1.5kg Coopers Wheat liquid malt
1x SafBrew (SB06) yeast

bubbling away at 20, highest it got was 22. Almost fermented, apparently only takes 3-4 days. Then straight into a keg.

I just put down a batch of:

1x 1.7kg Golden Sheaf Wheat
1x 1.5kg Coopers Wheat liquid malt
1x SafBrew (SB06) yeast

bubbling away at 20, highest it got was 22. Almost fermented, apparently only takes 3-4 days. Then straight into a keg.

Im doing the same. Put it down yesterday. What was your OG. Mine came out at 1044. What should the FG be?

the key to a good weizen is the yeast. use any of the reputable wheat beer kits, add some LME and either go for WLP300 or Wyeast 3068. the results will be so much better than you will achieve with a reconstituted dry yeast. as mentioned, drink it fresh...

Been asked to make a Weizenbier for an outing in late November, and was wondering if anyone could point me to a good Weizenbier kit to make.

Never made one before obviously, so are there any special things to remember when making these? Is there a minimum time the beer should be left before drinking?

The beer will be kegged and served through a miracle box if that is any help.

Cheers,

Crundle

I wish my brain would keep up with my typing, but with the ESB kit, do I use the yeast that comes with it (assuming it has some), or do I use the Wyeast 3068?

It comes with a WB-06 yeast from memory

Yes it does, just checked my spreadsheet

Im doing the same. Put it down yesterday. What was your OG. Mine came out at 1044. What should the FG be?

not that I bother taking hyrdo readings because my coopers hydrometer sucks and the tube that it sits in also sucks,

it was around 1.049, but that said that plastic tube is a stupid waste of time. I don't know how anyone gets an accurate reading from it.

I just kegged mine now anyway, it was done. FG should be around 1.010-1.013 I think.

Heh. Oh well. I smashed my hydrometer in the process. But damn, doesnt the wheat malt taste good. Yum! I could eat it on toast!

when I kegged mine this morning I left about 1litre in the fermenter, can't be arsed even bottling the rest and usually just tip it down the sink. But I had a bit of a taste, it was seemingly pretty good. I'll leave it a week in the keg and give it a go on tap probably this time next friday.

when I kegged mine this morning I left about 1litre in the fermenter, can't be arsed even bottling the rest and usually just tip it down the sink. But I had a bit of a taste, it was seemingly pretty good. I'll leave it a week in the keg and give it a go on tap probably this time next friday.

Dont waste it man. Have you got a fermenter with litre marks on the side. I am guessing you have if you have a coopers hydrometer. If your brew is showing say, 21lt in the fermenter, then put the first couple of litres in bottles then keg the rest.

Back