Best Way To Use Cacao Nibs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay

Reaction score
I've got some cacao nibs from Ross that I want to add to secondary in a brew and not sure the best way to do it. I've read of some people dry roasting these first and others soaking in alcohol for a period. Are they fine to use as is?

cheers

I have some burning a hole in my fridge. From my understanding, you can do all of the above, however, I plan on using them as is, i.e. 'dry nibbing'.

Cheers

I have heard of people throwing them in without any issues. But for me they're a fermented product, albeit one that has (usually) had the shit cooked out of it afterward, so I like to soak them in spirit before adding.

I have heard of people throwing them in without any issues. But for me they're a fermented product, albeit one that has (usually) had the shit cooked out of it afterward, so I like to soak them in spirit before adding.
Do you add the nibs + spirit to the fermenter or strain the bulk of the spirit and add the soaked nibs only?

I add the whole lot, but you could go either way. If you're concerned about any negative flavours you can just strain it out.

thanks for the replies guys. Just threw them as they were into secondary dry hop style

Back