Best Temperature For Bottles To Carbonate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixdigital

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just coming back to homebrewing again after a very long hiatus of over 15 years. I was brewing before the internet so there was really no information out there and we just brewed the standard can kits at Brisbane temperatures. Now I see there are so many ways to get a better brew.

I have purchased a temp control unit for a fridge and will be brewing at 10 to 18 degrees.

However when bottling what temp should the bottles be stored at to generate the carbon dioxide? I assume that storing them at the brewing temp will work as the yeast will still be active. However is there a danger (to flavour) if I just stored at room temp which is about 26 degrees?

I only really ask as we plan to make quite a few batches in quick succession and there wont be enough room in the fermenting fridge to hold all these brews :)

Also I have seen people mentioning about raising the temps by a degree per day when your about to bottle. I assume they are just gradually bringing the brew to the ambient room temp so as to not freak out the yeast. Is this necessary if you are going to store your bottles at brewing temp soon after bottling?

Thanks

You bring up the temp to let the yeast clean up the brew before bottling, I don't have that sort of technology on hand so I keep my ale's below 20c. I don't think you will have a problem at 26c for carbonation(that's about the temp my shed gets to), you wont freak out the yeast as most of it will be asleep on the bottom of your fermenter.

Best for quick carbonation: 32C

Best for quality beer: the low end of the range of your ferment temperature. Eg. 10C if a lager; 18C if an ale.

Pussonally I'd go high teens for both ales and lagers - once you get to that stage, reasonable temperature changes aren't going to cause any off flavours, then with lagers in particular chill down if possible once they are carbonated. I bottle out of cold conditioning so it's say 4 degrees going into the bottle, just let it warm naturally to around 18.

On the other hand I have accidentally left bottles in a cupboard in the Garage that got to high 30s during the recent summer and on coming back to them a month later :icon_vomit:

The tiny amount of fermentation that occurs during carbonation will make a bees dick of difference to the flavour if temp is high. If your concerened do a contrast and see if you can note any differences.

Latest posts

Back