Best Sugar For Priming.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupal

Reaction score
What sugar is best to use for priming ?.... Previously i have used Dextrose & do batch priming, in Beersmith's calculation it has an option for either Corn Sugar or C02, is corn sugar Dextrose ?

Yes corn sugar is dextrose. I'm guessing CO2 is for kegging (I don't use beersmith).

You can use any fermentable sugar - brown, raw, white, honey, malt extract. treacle etc.

They all have different fermentability rates so you need to adjust calculations depending. If dex is working for you then stick with that. I also use dextrose and bulk prime and it works for me.

Dextrose can be made from various starches - by far the most common is Corn Starch - hence 'corn sugar'

Don't use treacle unless you like molasses.

Molasses in very small quantities can be easily tasted.

Bit like adding cumin seeds to a soup :eek:

I used Dry Malt Extract, or Plain old table sugar when bulk priming.

In response to the Topic Title - the best sugar for priming would surely be some of the unfermented wort from the same beer you are bottling surely? At the correct dosage rate of course... :ph34r:

I used Dry Malt Extract, or Plain old table sugar when bulk priming.

In response to the Topic Title - the best sugar for priming would surely be some of the unfermented wort from the same beer you are bottling surely? At the correct dosage rate of course... :ph34r:

Why indeed not, keep a Schott bottle of sterile wort for priming. The calculations are beyond me but maybe someone like Butters could work up the figures.
At a BABBs meeting earlier in the year Troydo brought along one of these: and a sparklets bottle and gassed up a few bottles, only took a few seconds each.

It's such a tiny amount I don't believe it makes any real difference to flavour. Personally I usually just use table sugar.

Bit like adding cumin seeds to a soup :eek:

??
That depends entirely on the soup, your tastebuds, how much you use and how you treat the cumin. As with all things - you can do it well or you can do it badly.

Essentially the best priming sugar is whatever you prefer to use. If you have easy access to something and you find it works for you and you calculate the correct dosage then you can use anything considered a sugar.

Disclaimer: Not saying I would use treacle, nor that I have.
I have used cumin in a soup though.

Ha Ha not saying cumin is bad.

Molasses and cumin is one of those flavours that is very distinctive and always tends to hit you first (if you got the cumin seeds floating around).

That is why they dry fry them first to release the flavours before adding to Curry.

just using it as an example. B)

Anybody used Cumin in a beer ? :icon_offtopic:

There's no such thing as "best" in homebrewing - everybody has their reasons for doing different things.

If you're a purist, and don't mind frigging around saving wort then use that. Otherwise, as has been said, any sugar will work provided you allow for speed and fermentability.

If you just want a light, tasteless, easy solution you didn't need to ask as Dex works fine. You could also use plain ol' white sugar as it's even easier to get (you need slightly less by mass - it's more fermentable).

I guess the answer to your question is there's no silver bullet. No magic solution. It all just works.

Damn, I usualy use DME using this calc - Linky but yeah it all works out in the end (sorta, get kegging!!)

Basically you are just making CO2 to carbonate the bottle so the most easily digestible sugar wins atmo.

cheers

grant

Back