Best "second" Brewing Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a copy of Palmer's "How To Brew" which I think is an excellent introduction to brewing.

Just wondering what people recommend as a second, more advanced book?

I was thinking of getting Technology Brewing and Malting (Kunze).

I've just done and extract brew and plan to do a partial next. Then it's on to AG, so a more technical book would be fine.

Cheers,

Chris

Designing great beers is a good one

I'm not sure there's a need for a second technical book to get into AG.

If you're looking to get a new book I'd select a couple of beer styles that interest you and grab a book about them... i.e. Brew Like a Monk if you're into Belgians.

Hi Chris,

I would avoid the Kunze book for now - it is extremely detailed but more from a commercial brewing perspective - lots and lots of details on things like fermenter geometry, types of filters and kettles etc. It does have some extensive scientific information that might be useful but as a second book IMO it would be OTT. (it's also really expensive)

If it is putting your equpiment for AG together I would use this forum and others and How to Brew. For recipe guidelines and tips Ray Daniels "designing great beers" is excellent. Randy Mosher's Radical brewing is a great book to fire up those creative juices, it gives recipe formulation guidelines and lots of historical titbits but encourages free thinking in your brewing. The recently released "Brewing Classic styles" by Jamil and J Palmer has 80 award winning recipes in and is also a good read.

If you are after more technical brewing information rather than Kunze I would go for Fix's "Principles of brewing science" fairly heavy weight in terms of content it goes into great detail on the science of brewing - definitely not for a beginner but at least you can get through it in a couple of days - Kune would take you months and months to get through and most of the info is superfluous to a homebrewer.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jon

I think most brewers will agree with the above.

1 technical book is enough for starters

+1 Mosher's Radical brewing, Brew Like a Monk or Brewing Classic styles. I think thats what most of the guys on here have.

EDIT: or if your really out there - Extreme Brewing. extract:"Extreme Brewing" has a unique emphasis on hybrid styles that use fruit, vegetables, herbs and spices to create unique flavor combinations"... sounds like Spillsmostofit type of book!

2nd EDIT: if you type in 'Books' or 'brewing books' into the search engine, there is a thread with a heap of brewing titles and reviews.

3rd EDIT: cheap books - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WW...ES/homepage.php. only slightly cheaper (say $5-$8) so you can decide whetehr to support local business or not.

Designing great beers is a good one

+1.
Gets stuck into the details of beer styles, history, recipe formulation, and appropriate choice of ingredients.
Invaluable resource I found.

Noonans "New brewing lager beers" is a great book.

I have been reading both Daniels, Designing Great Beers and Mosher's Radical Brewing in the last cople of weeks and find them both to be interesting and logical progressions from Palmer's How to Brew.

Alternatively, I find Palmer and Zainasheff's Brewing Classic Styles handy as it includes lots of recipes, plus brief style notes, technical tips and other handy information.

cheers

Grant

Is the hard copy "how to brew" the same as the online version or is there more stuff in it?

Cheers
Chris

Since i only do extract or kit with extras brews i cant comment on what would help with AG technical queries. But i find myself using "Brewing Classic Style" for simple recipe plans and "Designing Greats Beers" when i want to get more technical about a style before each brew, both no stuffing around and well regarded.

I researched on amazon.com before i purchased as it has plenty of reader/brewer feedback which sounds like you would be interested in.

Good to see you are making next step, i have 50kg of grain i impatiently bought stilling in the shed waiting for me to go AG. :)

Is the hard copy "how to brew" the same as the online version or is there more stuff in it?

Cheers
Chris

The hard copy book is the 3rd Edition, and it does have some additions/changes from the online version.
I paid about $35 for my copy, and it's well worth it to add to your library.

The hard copy book is the 3rd Edition, and it does have some additions/changes from the online version.
I paid about $35 for my copy, and it's well worth it to add to your library.

+1 I can highly recommend getting the hard copy - I find it an indespensible reference point. It is great having a hard copy that you can refer to at a moments notice if you want to check up on something.

Brendo

Latest posts

Back