Best Fridge for Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
Hello

I am finally making the leap to kegs and am starting by getting a fridge.

The guy I got my fermentation fridge from has heaps to choose from and it looks like a 500 litre is the go as It can fit 3 x 19 litre kegs at the base and leave me a top shelf for stubbies and a freezer to store my hops!

Anyone see any down side to this choice or have any better ideas?

Cheers,
UNT

KegKing have an awesome little fridge / keggerator which is designed for corny kegs.

My concern with the keggerator is the font is not chilled, so there is lots of wastage when the beer in the line goes warm!

UNT

The font fan works pretty well for the kegking fridge.

But yeah, you can only fit 3 x 19ltr corny kegs in there.

I fitted flow control Perlicks to mine and have found they work great to reduce foaming even from the first pour, with or twithou the fan running.

UsernameTaken said:
My concern with the keggerator is the font is not chilled, so there is lots of wastage when the beer in the line goes warm!

UNT
Yeah, that was something that concerned me. As Frothy1 mentioned, there's font fan with the latest iteration, and I know the stainless font has insulation, so it shouldn't be that bad. If you felt like it, you could always look at a poor man's glycol system with it or with a flooded font.

If you go for the keezer option, which many on this forum have, you will want a fan in there anyway circulating the air.

I have a keg of soda water in mine so sub zero temps are out for me.

Yeah, I still think cutting holes in a fridge is better, cheaper and you have more space for stubbies and a freezer!

It just maybe does not look a good ...

Cheers,
UNT

Get as big a fridge or freezer as you can (upright is ideal as there's less lifting in and out, but watch for upright freezers with the coolant running through the shelves, as you can't remove them). Never heard anyone complaining they have too much space in their keg fridge/freezer, but heard plenty wishing they had more space. My keezer fits 6, but I wish I could fit 8.

Blind Dog said:
Get as big a fridge or freezer as you can (upright is ideal as there's less lifting in and out, but watch for upright freezers with the coolant running through the shelves, as you can't remove them). Never heard anyone complaining they have too much space in their keg fridge/freezer, but heard plenty wishing they had more space. My keezer fits 6, but I wish I could fit 8.
Aye, last comment.. 5 and 9 :/

Well the 500 litre fridge is pretty massive and it only fits 3 x 19L kegs!

So I would assume the only appliance that could fit more than that would be a chest freezer?

Cheers,
UNT

UsernameTaken said:
Well the 500 litre fridge is pretty massive and it only fits 3 x 19L kegs!

So I would assume the only appliance that could fit more than that would be a chest freezer?

Cheers,
UNT
I had a 500L fidge/freezer. With a shelf over the compressor hump it'll fit 6 but then not a great deal of room for bottles and glasses. The freezer was used for hops/yeast, I had a tv mounted to the freezer door (tap display, xbox, tv) and four taps and drip tray on the fridge door. Only issue was gas/beer line management, though I'm sure with some effort that could be sorted. I stripped this and junked the fridge when we moved. Would I do it again? Hell yes, though I think one with the freezer on the bottom would give you room for stubbies and glasses.
1464835330772.jpg

Back