Best Dry Yeast Supplier? Heard Of Intek?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it is what it is.Try making a gold medal Pils/lager with dry yeast, not going to happen. Belgian or a wheat ,may be. Ale yes , but thats it.
GB

One our club members who frequents this forum made a multiple gold medal winning lager with S-23.

I love the variety available from liquid yeasts, but claiming they are the be all & end all is just blinkered nonsense...sorry

Cheers Ross

And that boils down to your own taste, stating that you use one particular dry yeast for it's specific properties is the same as stating you use a liquid yeast for it's properties.

Which is the point I was trying to make, but on re reading my own post, was probably not expressed as well as it could have been. I use the yeast most suitable for the particular property I am after, regardless of whether it is dry or liquid. It just happens that for my personal tastes and preferences, the majority of yeast that gives me what I am after is liquid. I wasn't trying to bash dry yeast.

I wasn't trying to bash dry yeast.

No, I didn't think you were Butters, and I can see your point.

It's sweeping comments like this that can confuse newer brewers:
Yep it is what it is.Try making a gold medal Pils/lager with dry yeast, not going to happen. Belgian or a wheat ,may be. Ale yes , but thats it.
GB

All of my placing beers in the QABC used dry yeast, so that blows that theory out of the water.

this thread has gone a little of topic I think, so has anyone heard of the Intek yeasts?

Andrew

All of my placing beers in the QABC used dry yeast, so that blows that theory out of the water.

Did they win Gold and were any a lager or Pils? If not, the theory is still valid and I agree with it

Found online:

Date: 26 May 1993 09:59:04 -0500
From: <A href="mailto:Daniel.F.McConnell" at med.umich.edu>"Daniel F McConnell" <Daniel.F.McConnell at med.umich.edu>
Subject: Brewers Resource Dir/NYCY 2

Subject: Time:9:53 AM
OFFICE MEMO Brewers Resource Dir/NYCY 240 Date:5/26/93
Does anyone out there have access to The Brewers Resource Directory available
from the Association of Brewers? I need to find some information, but am a
little hesitant to shell out the $80.

Also...does anyone know of a source for the yeast culture NYCY 240? This is
(apparently) a highly flocculant English strain of great character that was
once available from Intek (sp?) in Australia who has since gone out of
business.

Please send private e-mail.

DanMcC

Looks like you're 15yrs late. :unsure:

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

For all those people out there who think liquid yeasts are far superior, and that a champion beer can't be brewed by dried yeast.

This is what s-04 and us-05 can do (bar the kolsch). :p

http://www.wigandpen.com.au/Front_Page.htm

PS if you haven't been there than you should make the hike.

All I can get in this shitty country unless I make an order through Ross is fermentis yeasts, so Im doomed to brew with S-04, US-05 (cos I pretty much only do ales) and if I want to do a wheat beer, I get lucky enough to pick between WB-06 and K-97 <_<

In saying that, ive had some fantastic results from both S-04 and US-05, and I can still get some nice yeasty esthers from S-04

Would love to try liquids one day tho... Christmas is coming :p

All I can get in this shitty country unless I make an order through Ross is fermentis yeasts, so Im doomed to brew with S-04, US-05 (cos I pretty much only do ales) and if I want to do a wheat beer, I get lucky enough to pick between WB-06 and K-97 <_<

You can get Nottingham - usually sold as Girvan Ale yeast here - though God only knows why you'd want to use it ;)

Cheers, jaytee

One our club members who frequents this forum made a multiple gold medal winning lager with S-23.

I love the variety available from liquid yeasts, but claiming they are the be all & end all is just blinkered nonsense...sorry

Cheers Ross
I should have put IMHO to save my ass ?
GB

2 x gold 1 x Silver. And yes one of the Golds was a lager. It was a MaiBock.

Andrew
Well done Andrew
I know this off topic but..... to validate my opinon on liquid yeast.
Perth Royal beer show 2008
Munich Dunkel Gold
Marzen Gold
Mai Bock Gold
Munich Dunkle "Best lager of show trophy".
All done on liquid Wyeast.
GB

Well done Andrew
I know this off topic but..... to validate my opinon on liquid yeast.
Perth Royal beer show 2008
Munich Dunkel Gold
Marzen Gold
Mai Bock Gold
Munich Dunkle "Best lager of show trophy".
All done on liquid Wyeast.
GB

Nice results ;) But in no way did I say liquid yeasts are inferior and do not perform as well as dry, my point was that dry yeasts are not as bad as you seemed to indicate, and they can produce beers of at least equal quality as liquid yeasts when used correctly.
It wasn't about dry yeasts being better than liquid ones, more about dry yeasts not being as bad as some people think.

Andrew

:icon_offtopic:

I should have just called this thread round 225: Dry Yeast Vs Liquid yeast!!

I think i can deduce Intek doesn't exist anymore :)

Nice results ;) But in no way did I say liquid yeasts are inferior and do not perform as well as dry, my point was that dry yeasts are not as bad as you seemed to indicate, and they can produce beers of at least equal quality as liquid yeasts when used correctly.
It wasn't about dry yeasts being better than liquid ones, more about dry yeasts not being as bad as some people think.

Andrew
I think really the point to me,is there are lots of styles of pilsners and lagers, Liquid yeast can have a yeast to cover each of these styles where as Pils/lager dry yeast is very limited in its coverage of a yeast for each style.I like to choose my yeast to match the style of beer I am trying to reproduce.I started on dry yeast but only got better results when switching to liquids.When you are on a good thing.......
GB

Jeez, I am glad I only make ales and wheat beers. I would hate to have to throw out the 500g block of US-05 I just started
If it makes a beer you like and at just over $2 a brew as opposed to megadollars for liquids, well then why not.
Bring it on
I have a thick skin

Back