Best Dry Yeast Supplier? Heard Of Intek?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've had an enquiry from a friend of a friend regarding dry yeast. Apparently he is hell bent on using dry yeast, god knows why! :rolleyes: . He seems to think using liquid yeasts involves too much stepping up of starters. Even though the Whitelabs vials and Wyeast activator packs are directly pitchable for a 23L batch.... anyway!

He reckons there is a company called Intek which supplies good quality dry yeast to microbreweries. Has anyone heard of them or used yeast supplied by them?

I recommended Safale and Saflager but he seems to have some problem with VDK production with the Saflager.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers,

piraterum

Hey All,

I've had an enquiry from a friend of a friend regarding dry yeast. Apparently he is hell bent on using dry yeast, god knows why! :rolleyes: .

Perhaps it's because he knows that there are now some fantastic dried yeasts now available.I use around 50% dried yeasts in my brews these days.Believe me dried yeasts have come along way in the past year or two.

Batz

Sounds like your mate needs to take his mis-information about liquid yeast, poor brewing technique and general laziness back to liquor land and his knitting circle!

Yeast is yeast, the more effort you put in the better the beer; obvious.

Scotty

Perhaps it's because he knows that there are now some fantastic dried yeasts now available.I use around 50% dried yeasts in my brews these days.Believe me dried yeasts have come along way in the past year or two.

Batz

I don't doubt for a minute that there aren't good dried yeasts. I've used Safale s-04 and US-05 with great success. What are some other dry yeast suppliers other than Saf?

I think in terms of variety of strains, dry yeast still needs to come along way to compete with the variety of liquid strains available.

Batz

+1

Amazing the quality and variety that's available now. Saflager and Safale aren't on my list of good dry yeasts though. If you get any more info on this Intek please share.

Andrew

I've used muntons gold yeast before. I think it's very good. Fermented well, dropped out into a nice mud pack once it was finished and it started rather quickly. As for using it they don't recommend rehydrating it before use just sprinkle on top and your done.

Can we define 'good' though. One mans pain is another mans pleasure - all i see from the dried yeasts is a blandness and poor a position were it gets the job done like a three fingered carpenter ... well thats a bit harsh for the digit-challenged ...

So we can say 'good' is the ability to make alcohol, but not be reliable of taste, aroma and brewery performance?

As for suppliers, Saf, Muntons, Mauri, and the guys that make Windsor/Nottingham... usual suspects that make bakers yeast...

Scotty

Can we define 'good' though. One mans pain is another mans pleasure - all i see from the dried yeasts is a blandness and poor a position were it gets the job done like a three fingered carpenter ... well thats a bit harsh for the digit-challenged ...

So we can say 'good' is the ability to make alcohol, but not be reliable of taste, aroma and brewery performance?

As for suppliers, Saf, Muntons, Mauri, and the guys that make Windsor/Nottingham... usual suspects that make bakers yeast...

Scotty

Perhaps a "good brewer" can produce an equally good beer using dry yeast. To be honest I have always been more of a liquid yeast fan, but I have brewed with a couple of good dry yeasts this year that have done a bit more than just "make alcohol" and they have been very reliable as far as taste and aroma are concerned.

Andrew

+1

Amazing the quality and variety that's available now. Saflager and Safale aren't on my list of good dry yeasts though.

Nor mine Andrew,amazing what people associate dry yeast with hey?

It would be over 5 years I believe since I have used either.

Liquid yeast is great and I use them when my brew requires them,today I brewed a pilsner,I used Wyeast Pilsner Uequell for this.
I also brewed my Far Kin Ale,I use Nottingham for that one.

I am not saying one in better than the another,but a good brewer knows what suits his particular brew at the time.

Dry yeasts have come along way since Saflager and Safale

Scotty

Perhaps one day I maybe as experienced as you.perhaps I'll even jag a half decent beer !

Batz

Scotty

When we say good, we mean a yeast that can create a beer suitable for a given style. If we judged yeast only on its ability to make alcohol we'd all use distillers Turbo Yeast - it's robust, gets the job done but lets face it the resulting beer wouldn't be so great :lol:

There are many properties you want in a "good" yeast e.g. attenutation, degree of floculation, temp range, pH range, alcohol tolerance and of course the flavour it produces through the production of esters and other compounds. Some dry yeasts such as US-05 are great for producing a clean tasting beer which allow the hop flavours to dominate the beer. In cases such as this it may be easier and more convenient to use a dry yeast rather than a liquid yeast.

imho, it comes down to what you want from the yeast. US05 is the only dry yeast I use, specifically because it is fairly neutral and allows the hops to dominate. For other styles, though, I find the dry yeasts to be too generic, too neutral, and lacking the complexity that I am personally after. Whilst they may be suitable for the job of putting you in the middle of a generic style, and producing a beer that may, indeed, be very good, suitable just doesn't quite cut it for me, most of the time.

Completely agree, Butters... except I've also used S-189 for lagers. Whenever I desire an actual yeast profile I go liquid.

imho, it comes down to what you want from the yeast. US05 is the only dry yeast I use, specifically because it is fairly neutral and allows the hops to dominate. For other styles, though, I find the dry yeasts to be too generic, too neutral, and lacking the complexity that I am personally after. Whilst they may be suitable for the job of putting you in the middle of a generic style, and producing a beer that may, indeed, be very good, suitable just doesn't quite cut it for me, most of the time.

And that boils down to your own taste, stating that you use one particular dry yeast for it's specific properties is the same as stating you use a liquid yeast for it's properties.
I found after discovering liquid yeasts that I went through a few years where I would not brew with anything else, on the assumption that they were the best.
I've since discovered that as good as they are, there is an alternative with the new dry yeasts on the market that are just as good, you only need to try them.

Andrew

:D I Prefer the sense of dj vu thread brand. It flocculates far quicker than others.

Warren -

And that boils down to your own taste, stating that you use one particular dry yeast for it's specific properties is the same as stating you use a liquid yeast for it's properties.
I found after discovering liquid yeasts that I went through a few years where I would not brew with anything else, on the assumption that they were the best.
I've since discovered that as good as they are, there is an alternative with the new dry yeasts on the market that are just as good, you only need to try them.

Andrew

And hence Andrew has seen the stick into the ants nest. I use yeast, i demand alot of it regardless it if is dried, liquid or just damp. Give me the beer i want, not the brand i use. Shame that Batz had to throw the barb and play the man, not the yeast; yes dried can make beer, but how 'good' is always subjective. And subjective we all are.

So, the folks we do not know about, are they local?

Scotty

ihave my fave dried which nottigham but in lagers a liquid does make the difference

IMHO.If you are after a generic style ...use dry yeast. If you are doing a particular beer style..Then the use the appropiate style liquid yeast. K.I.S.S

IMHO.If you are after a generic style ...use dry yeast. If you are doing a particular beer style..Then the use the appropiate style liquid yeast. K.I.S.S
Yep it is what it is.Try making a gold medal Pils/lager with dry yeast, not going to happen. Belgian or a wheat ,may be. Ale yes , but thats it.
GB

<chopped> If you are doing a particular beer style..Then the use the appropiate style liquid yeast. K.I.S.S
</chopped>
...or even if you're trying improve upon a style.
Don't you sometimes grab a yeast and then just brew a beer to accent the flavours? like the Iron Chefs?
Do you think that you can brew a fresher and better beer than I can buy? I reckon most would like to try. Testify!

If this is a retail thread...I'll be cranky.

My opinion is that dry yeasts have their place but are pale shadows of the liquid equivalents.

Les

Back