Pitching specific weight of dry yeast >11.5g <23.0g?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slash22000 said:
I was under the impression that stressing the yeast is what caused undesirable flavours. Wouldn't underpitching stress the yeast even with enough oxygen being supplied? Or else why have a recommended pitching rate at all? :blink:
Check out the parameters involved when a small (100 billion) amount of yeast is pitched into 20L of wort, that control the eventual population.

There are important things other than the cell count of the pitch, that most homebrewers neglect, all the while fretting about their pitch's cell count.

Calculators assume you have saturation levels of oxygenation - who does? We're all underpitching...

You can under and overpitch and still make great beer. I wouldn't stress if it's over or under by 25%. Back to back I think you'd be hard-pressed to taste the difference. Especially if it's an IPA.

Why not make less beer? Just adjust your recipe so that your batch size ends up closer to whatever the limit of one packet of yeast is. I'm guessing about 16 litres, but you'd get away with a few more without it being considered a significant underpitch....especially if you re-hydrate properly.

It's homebrew.
Unless you are counting viable yeast numbers, measuring O2 concentration etc it's all just a guestimate... If you really want to see what different pitches do split batch into 2 fermenters, full packet in one, half in the other.

one of the side effects of under pitching can be exessive fusel alcohol production, which i would personally want to avoid in what is already a fairly big beer. are you trying to make ordinary beer or the best beer possible. If the latter then what is 4 bucks anyway.Its barely enough to buy a minimum of chips from the greasy shop these days.

Latest posts

Back