Best Bitter Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hefty, just chuck the pellets in, I do it all the time no worries.

Bribie/Hefty: I think plugs are meant to be 1/2oz (~14g), in my experience they are a little more, usually 15 or 16g.

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I'll throw them in loose. I've been cold conditioning for a little longer recently so hopefully that will settle any extra hop particles out anyway.

I'll have to look at using flowers or plugs sometime soon but my brew days are still tending to be one or two months apart at the moment (until I can get either another keg or two or a bigger keg fridge) so changing one variable at a time is a slow process.

HABAHAGD :icon_cheers:
Jono.

Edit: Too many "anyway"s

Well, after 16 days in primary (I normally do 14 but I was away on the long weekend) I racked this one to a cube last night for cold conditioning for a week.
Everything seems to be going really well. FG is 1011 which is actually 1 point lower than expected. Sample is just on the hoppy side of balance initially but the caramel notes from the medium crystal sneak into the finish.
Will naturally carb in the keg starting form the end of this week.

Jono.

Ok, so natural carbing seems to be going well. I'm hoping to hook it up soon.
Quick question though:
If I hook up the gas line to the keg with the regulator closed, is the pressure reading I get on the second dial an accurate way to gauge how carbed it is? IE is it possible to tell how much CO2 has been absorbed based on this reading? or not?
It's been carbing for a week at a fairly constant 18*C. I primed with 75g of table sugar (i ran out of dex :( ) aiming for 2.0 vols. When I hook it up I get a reading of 1 bar (thats 100kPa isn't it?)
I want to make sure I wait long enough but at the same time I'm super keen to tap this one!

Any advice?
Jono.

Latest posts

Back