Best Bitter BIAB Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattlehead989

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to clone a best bitter from my local brewpub and the brewer gave me a list of the grains but wouldn't elaborate on possible quantities for a small batch. So here's what I've come up with based on my limited recipe development experience. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kyle.

Brewpub Best Bitter (23L BIAB Batch)

4.5kg Maris Otter
100g Crystal 225 EBC
200g Crystal 145 EBC
200g Flaked Wheat
100g Pale Chocolate

20g Magnum @ 60 min
20g Ek Goldings @ 0 min

Looks good.

For a UK ale, German Magnum would be the go as opposed to USA Magnum.

If using flaked wheat, make sure that it's the steamrolled variety so that the starches in it are already gelatinised (e.g. "blue lake" from Craftbrewer) , then I'd mash at around 67 degrees to ensure good starch conversion.

How do you normally cool?
If you are a no chiller I'd recommend putting the EKG hops into the cube and running the wort onto them.

What yeast were you thinking of using?

I have no idea what the beer you are trying to clone is like but the recipe looks solid although possibly higher gravity - any idea of abv and expected OG/FG of yours? Depending on colour of clone inspiration, you may want to reduce the choc a tad.

Also what yeast?

Have you plugged it into brewmate?

Seems like you pretty much into brown ale territory with that much dark crystal and pale choc. Wouldn't be a bad thing, but depends on what you're going for.

Also the OG is a bit high for a best bitter, knock it back to 4kg of Maris.

I'm trying to clone Foghorn Brewhouse's Roaring Forties Best Bitter (the old version as he changed the hops and it's a touch bitter for my liking atm)
I'm using the mobile version of beersmith atm and OG is coming in at 1.048, 29.9 IBUs and an SRM of 12.7.
I chose magnum because it seemed easier than using 40 grams of EKG. The yeast I plan on using is Safale S-04.
This will be my first BIAB I have only done a few partial mashes up until now and Ive got some shiny new gear on the way for christmas (50L pot, immersion chiller, BIAB bag, mash paddle :-D)

I was trying to go easy on the crystal and pale choc because I was afraid it might end up more like a brown but this is what Shaun told me he uses so I'm going to go with it, maybe just adjust the quantities a little.

Seriously mate - the recipe looks like it will make a very decent, UK style beer.

You'd do ok if you brewed as you have it and if you really love the foghorn, you can tweak and tweak subsequent brews till you hit as close to the original as possible. The process is informative and fun.

It's good enough to just go for broke.

Only thing I'd say is 40g of ekg ain't a lot. Magnum if you want but don't be scared of all UK.

Rattlehead989 said:
Ive got some shiny new gear on the way for christmas (50L pot, immersion chiller, BIAB bag, mash paddle :-D)
Merry Xmas to Rattlehead.

As with others, will make a decent beer and can tweak it following. Also look at Nottingham for the yeast. Windsor is another option but has less attenuation - extra sweetness and slightly lower ABV which suits english styles.

British special bitters tend to run out at around 4.3% ABV - Landlord, Brains SA whatever.

There is a trend to slightly higher ABV brews among the new crop of real ale breweries - possibly as a reaction to the American APA invasion over there.

So strength would be well within the scope for a Best Bitter - going up a category to ESBs you're looking at 5% and above.

Great bar, Foghorn.

If you've got the hops, go EKG or another English hop for the bittering rather tha magnum. English bitters tend to rely on a big dollop of bittering hops early in the boil to give that long lasting bitterness hit that creeps up on you from behind the malt, but delivers that hit with a myriad of orange, spicy, earthy, floral flavours and overtones that a neutral bittering hop like magnum just can't deliver. I can't recall a single traditional pale ale recipe by Protz, Wheeler, Lyne etc. that calls for anything other than an English hop. IMO, magnum is just too neutral to deliver the flavour sensation that English hops like EKG or Challenger offer,

Hey guys just an update, the beer turned out great! Going to make some small changes to the recipe it's abit dark and maybe a touch sweet. I'll also ferment a touch cooler (s-04 seems to throw off a tonne of esters at 19c)

75% Efficiency

4kg Maris Otter 88.6%
140g Crystal 145EBC 3.1%
100g Crystal 245EBC 2.2%
50g Pale Chocolate 1.1%
225g Flaked Wheat 5%

Mash for 1 hour @ 68c

40g EKG @ 60
30g EKG @ 20
40g Riwaka Dry hop for 4 days

Ferment using Safale S-04 @ 18C

I know the Riwaka is not to style but I'm pretty positive Shawn uses this hop somewhere in this beer. If anyone decides to brew this lemme know how it goes.

Cheers,

Rattlehead.

Latest posts

Back