"BentSpoke", new Canberra brewpub link

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be good. Look forward to visiting when I am next in town; bicycles and beer were meant to be together.

Forever Wort said:
Should be good. Look forward to visiting when I am next in town; bicycles and beer were meant to be together.
Oh great,another pissed cyclist on the road! :)
Just joking
Cheers....spog....

Great thing about Canberra is you never have to cycle on the road - bike paths aplenty!

Forever Wort said:
Great thing about Canberra is you never have to cycle on the road - bike paths aplenty!

Which is a great thing and I use regularly. I don't understand riders who do not.

Firefox tells me that the above link could be an attack site. :unsure:

Just what we need, more seats with sweaty bum crack marks on them. B)

Much attack in the Crimes.

Quite keen to taste Richard's oregano-infused beer. Like the idea of some direct tank-to-tap lines in a brewpub too.

Bright tank was how most pub beer was served in the UK in the 1960s and 1970s when the breweries would send tankers out to the pubs and chuck a couple of hoses down into the cellars. Apparently Urquell and other companies are now reintroducing bright tank to pubs in the South East of the UK for a fresher beer experience. I had a couple of sessions on tank brewed at James Squire King Street Wharf in Sydney (before the venue got sold). :icon_drool2:

Well, folks. I would have posted earlier but I've been at Bentspoke Brewery sampling all the beers and I must say... they are exceptional!

Went in at 11.15am on Friday for their 'soft' opening and had a pint of the 'Mort's Gold', a pleasantly refreshing, nicely crisp pilsner. I heard one of the staff ask "was that the first sale?" I never heard the answer but I was quietly chuffed knowing that I was possibly the first 'off-the-street' person to buy a beer. Second, I had the 'Crankshaft'. An IPA with a great hoppy palate and aroma. The menu says it's "crammed full of US Centennial, Simcoe, Citra and Cascade hops" and it was AWESOME!! I've been craving an American IPA on tap in Canberra for so long and Bentspoke delivered! What I was most impressed with was 'Adams Cider'. Batlow apples pressed in house, it was delicious and I highly recommend it. I'd love to discuss all the beers, particularly the 'Barley griffin' (oregano), but I don't want to ruin the surprise, you won't be disappointed!

Food looks good but haven't had a chance to eat yet, too busy drinking. Let me know what other people think...

Twalky

I can confirm the quality of almost all the beers after significant taste testing. Crankshaft and braddon bitter are the highlights IMHO.

I went in yesterday for a quite one just before the lunch rush. Had a Mort's Gold; good clean pils, nice evident bitterness but well balanced with a full malty taste. The only issue I could find with it was a hint and only of hint of diacetyl, which I could only just taste at the bottom of the glass after the beer had warmed up.

I will be going back for more of that & I wish I could brew a pils that well.

Latest posts

Back