Belle Saison Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what is the consensus with temperature for this yeast?

Start at 18 for 2 days then ramp up 1 degree each day until FG is stabilised under 1.010?

I am planning the following after drinking Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace Saison

OG: 1.067
IBU: 33

5.0kg Pils
0.5kg Munich
0.5kg Vienna
0.5kg Wheat
0.5kg Cane sugar

Calypso 12%
14g @ 60min
20g @ 20min
20g @ 1min
30g @ dry

Cheers!

I usually start in the low twenties and let it go up to the high twenties. Might need some added heat this time of the year.

I've brewed with this commercially at 19C & in the high twenties (same beer). My preference is keeping it at 19c. The higher temps did not produce anymore good character, just a few fusels that i didn't like.

This yeast ferments like crazy!

I pitched a rehydrated packet at about 19 degrees and slowly brought it up a degree a day to 25. It was down to 1.004 after 5 days (maybe even sooner, but I took a hydro reading at day 5).

My question is:

If this ferments so quick and down to 1.004 already, can I transfer to a keg only a week after pitching? I usually wait for at least the 2 week mark. Anyone see any downsides to kegging sooner?

By the way, I dont transfer to secondary. I just cold crash and keg.

Ross said:
I've brewed with this commercially at 19C & in the high twenties (same beer). My preference is keeping it at 19c. The higher temps did not produce anymore good character, just a few fusels that i didn't like.
Excellent, should be awesome for use in a Tassie hot water cupboard.

Bats said:
This yeast ferments like crazy!

I pitched a rehydrated packet at about 19 degrees and slowly brought it up a degree a day to 25. It was down to 1.004 after 5 days (maybe even sooner, but I took a hydro reading at day 5).

My question is:

If this ferments so quick and down to 1.004 already, can I transfer to a keg only a week after pitching? I usually wait for at least the 2 week mark. Anyone see any downsides to kegging sooner?

By the way, I dont transfer to secondary. I just cold crash and keg.
?

If it's done, it's fine to keg. I'd be giving it 2-3 days at FG to clean up after itself though before kegging.

Anyone else had good attenuation with this yeast?

I left it a few days to clean up after itself and it is now down to 1.002.

I had to cold crash just in case it kept going.

It has finished at 1.002 or just slightly less both times that I have used this yeast.

Quick question in regards to this yeast, I see a lot of mention of pear & peppery. Does it give off any farmhouse characteristics? Or is this not normally attributed to yeast for a saison?

What are farmhouse characteristics? Damn is a good attenuator though down to 1.004 with the Coopers Saison Kit and still bubbling along very slowly. Did not notice anything specific tastewise from hydrometer samples. Very slight winey taste with a hint of tartness but that could be from the Wheat can.
I have never tasted a commercial Siason so nothing to compare with.

1x Coopers Pale Ale
1x Coopers Wheat
500g BE2
500g Rice syrup (maltose )
25g Saaz
Belle Saison Yeast @22C gradually up to 29C

Currently making my way through a batch keg fermented with this. It was actually a weizen grainbill with 60/40 pils to wheat and a touch of melanoidin with two addition of Riwaka.

I am really liking this so far. Chewed through the wort in about a week, from 1048 down to 1004. It still has a good mouthfeel for a beer that has attenuated so well.

I had planned to do this as a controlled ferment at 22', but fridge space did not allow it, so I had it in a cupboard in the garage a few weeks ago when the temps in Perth weren't so high. The hottest it got was about 26' (measured wort temp on the hottest day in mid ferment, not very scientific...)

I love it. Going to throw the slurry at a stout this week.

Back