Belle Saison Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.043 to 1.005 after five days, and I suspect it actually got there a day or two ago. The fermentation temperature got as high as 32 degrees and I am pleased to say that there was nothing hot or solventy about the sample.

The sample was very milky and opaque, so not a lot of flocculation just yet. Aroma was quite fruity; not quite banana, but in that ball park. Flavour was similar with a slight peppery finish. There are probably more flavours in there, but with so much yeast still in suspension, I'm not perceiving them yet.

I'm going to cool the beer down to the low twenties slowly over the next week and then keg. So far it has all been fairly positive.

I should also note that I brew for 11 litre kegs, so I only started with 13 litres. That makes my pitching rate fairly high when you consider my OG.

dr K said:
It may be a bit early to even guess exactly whre it came from, other than as is stated Belgium.
I am brewing with it next weekend, I may do a standardised beer with 100% pilsener (dingemaans) but most likely a pils/wheat/other blend. If I go strong I will hold at sub 20C for 2 days then let it run.
K
how did you go with this?

A little under two weeks and it's down to 1.001. For a yeast which is not meant to be very flocculant, the sample was pretty bright and the flavours are now a bit easier to define - pears and pepper. There was also a pleasant aroma which I can't describe as anything other than yeasty; a bit like the smell coming off bread dough as it rises.

The fruity aroma was fairly subtle, but that's OK. It's strong enough to notice, but doesn't turn the beer into a daquiri.

So, fruit and spice (tick), a touch of funk (tick), monstrous attenuation (tick) and tolerant of high temperatures (tick). This is definitely a true saison yeast. Everyone will have their own opinion on how this compares to other saison strains (and I think DuPont will always be the favourite, despite its quirks) but this is a worthy addition to the dry yeast stable.

More notes in a week once it's carbed and ready.

OK, it's carbed and chilled now. There are some nice Belgian flavours coming through and it's turned out to be a pretty decent beer. A couple of surprises - it doesn't feel anywhere near as dry as I was expecting it to, although I did use 10% rolled oats in the grist. There is also a sweetness, or at least a perception of sweetness, which I wasn't expecting in a beer which finished at 1.001.

I deliberately made a very simple beer to find out about the yeast - 80/10/10 pils/wheat/oats and a single bittering addition. While I am happy with what I have in the keg, I am already thinking of tweaks to make the next one better. Late hopping is the obvious one. Some orange peel would go well with this yeast, plus some more character in the malt - I'm thinking belgian biscuit might work well.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's experiences, but for me this gets a tick.

Haven't used the dry one yet mate. But I'd suggest against late hopping. Doesn't suit the yeast.

Besides that, what you are saying describes saisons really well, so dry but doesn't feel it. Exactly my experience too.

The saison I brewed with Wyeast 3711 has come out predictably dry but surprisingly and pleasantly tart as well.

5 days and down to 1012 from 1050. Steady but not the most aggressive airlock activity, still in every 7 seconds. Fermenting at 22 degC ie very cool.

I let mine go at ambient melbourne temps been over 30 for last 8 days. 1060 to 1008 in three days and tastes awesome so far

Malty Cultural said:
OK, it's carbed and chilled now. There are some nice Belgian flavours coming through and it's turned out to be a pretty decent beer. A couple of surprises - it doesn't feel anywhere near as dry as I was expecting it to, although I did use 10% rolled oats in the grist. There is also a sweetness, or at least a perception of sweetness, which I wasn't expecting in a beer which finished at 1.001.

I deliberately made a very simple beer to find out about the yeast - 80/10/10 pils/wheat/oats and a single bittering addition. While I am happy with what I have in the keg, I am already thinking of tweaks to make the next one better. Late hopping is the obvious one. Some orange peel would go well with this yeast, plus some more character in the malt - I'm thinking belgian biscuit might work well.

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's experiences, but for me this gets a tick.
So after reading your previous description of peppery and pear and now this above, would you say it leans more towards the French Saison strain? Possibly a dry version of this?

practicalfool said:
Haven't used the dry one yet mate. But I'd suggest against late hopping. Doesn't suit the yeast.

Besides that, what you are saying describes saisons really well, so dry but doesn't feel it. Exactly my experience too.
I dunno, PF. I have used the 3711 on a cube of APA and it was sensational.

Just wondering- has anyone tried this yeast yet in a controlled ferment in a fridge below 30'?

jyo said:
So after reading your previous description of peppery and pear and now this above, would you say it leans more towards the French Saison strain? Possibly a dry version of this?

I dunno, PF. I have used the 3711 on a cube of APA and it was sensational.

Just wondering- has anyone tried this yeast yet in a controlled ferment in a fridge below 30'?
I am just cold crashing one now. It was under my inside staircase which gives a constant 22. I will let you all know how it goes.

Rowy said:
I am just cold crashing one now. It was under my inside staircase which gives a constant 22. I will let you all know how it goes.
Way to go Rowy.

jyo said:
Closer to the French than to the Dupont, but I couldn't say whether it's a dry version or something altogether new to the market. I'm not great at putting names to flavours, so I have just listed the obvious ones in pear and pepper. There is a bit more going on in there. I'm always the one eavesdropping on other tasters, thinking "oh yeah, lemongrass, now I'm getting it....."

I am definitely noticing a tart lemon note, lemongrass wouldn't be far off. And that's in 4 fermentations from 2 packs in different fermenters, so I'm 99% sure it's not an infection. Anyone else notice how funny the flocc'd yeast cake looks? Like beige gravel...

DeGarre said:
5 days and down to 1012 from 1050. Steady but not the most aggressive airlock activity, still in every 7 seconds. Fermenting at 22 degC ie very cool.
8 days now and has been at 1010 for 3 days. Brix is going down ever so slightly in refractometer but not enough to move gravity. I have shook the FV twice now. Perhaps it's having a break and then dives again...

Belle Saisson first [rider I am involved with http://www.mashematics.net and have been since 2009].
A friend of mine who is a literally "champion" brewer did a batch of standard style with this that he bought along to the March 2013 Canberra Brewers meeting (open of course for comments from those who tasted it who may read this)
My thoughts: I knew it was massively attenuated before I tasted it (I had been told) but it did not taste that way (of course the mash regime I was not told apart from a 5% (?) sucrose addition). The esters were subtle but enjoyable, to my mind a grind of pepper and a touch of old but not rotting orange (subtle). A very drinkable beer in which the yeast played a minor but significant role,
I also brewed using this yeast ..without going step by step it was (is) a 6,8% black death fermented at 18C for a few days then let run up to 24C, no sucrose. Again the attenuation was high but the beer belies, oh I mashed at 63 btw. Some pick an anise or liquorice aroma, I get a pepper/nigella nose, the big malts may cause some confusion.
Conclusion: [Well not really its only two trials]..this yeast is highly attenuative but somehow does not chew the body out, it produces subtle esters in the lower temperature range.
Comments?

K

Took a break at 1.010 for 3 days, now has clearly dropped to 1.009 and "officially" a saison now. I'll keep shaking the fv a bit still.

dr K said:
..... massively attenuated ........... but it did not taste that way........The esters were subtle but enjoyable........a grind of pepper........A very drinkable beer in which the yeast played a minor but significant role.
Very much in line with my impressions.

dr K said:
Conclusion:
[Well not really its only two trials]..this yeast is highly attenuative but somehow does not chew the body out, it produces subtle esters in the lower temperature range.
Comments?

K
Having fermented at over thirty degrees, I can also add that the esters remain subtle at higher temps.

Finally finished and bottled at 1008/9 and one week in the bottle:

IMG_2008_zpsb644325d.jpg

Very delicate vs T58, balanced, spicy, peppery, but in a very sophisticated way, none of that WLP565/6 Dupont heavy hitting. Belgian for sure.

Back