Belgian Witbier Chamomile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outbreak

Reaction score
So I brewed the Belgian Wit out of Brewing Classic Styles and no chilled, however the wort sat in the cube for around 2 months due to a range of reasons.... I transferred to the fermenter and pitched the yeast last night, but notice an overwhelming chamomile aroma. Have I done the wrong thing in keeping the Wit in the cube for the time I did? I have done a search about the flavours being stripped out during fermentation, but this aroma and taste is quite strong! I'd post the recipe but I am at work, I will post later.

Aroma is short lived compound so any extended time will
Diminish aroma. I suggest u just make some camomile tea and add it in secondary or just prior to bottling/kegging

Whoops I read that as underwhealming. Did u add chamomile to the beer at all? If not I'm at a loss how you hit that aroma. How about sime more info like your recipe etc

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah the aroma is overwhelming! I wrote the post on an Iphone at work so sorry for the half assed explanation!

OG 1.060

Wheat 42 %
Pilsner 46%
Munich 2%
Oats 10%

EKG to 19 IBU

I seemed to have misplaced my notes, but I put a teabag of chamomile in at flame out which weighed in at around 1g.

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

The Krausen has formed and just looks like large bubbles! Should be an interesting ferment.

I'd let it live and hope that an active ferment will drive the unwanted aroma out of your fermenting beer. :)

I made a wit a few months ago and tasting out of the fermenter it didn't have the citrus or spice character level I wanted so I skinned a few more oranges, ground some more coriander and put in the fermenter in a hop bag along with the (pasteurised) juice from the oranges for another week. Tasted again when I bottled this batch and the flavours were really strong but after a couple of weeks bottle conditioning the flavours had dropped off to a pretty good level.

Short answer: don't worry about it, will most likely be fine.

Back