Belgian Strong Ales - Recipes And Comments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad_G

Reaction score
I just posted a recipe of a belgian ale that I recently made and found that there is not much talk of the good old strong ale.

I used a 500ml starter of trappist ale yeast WLP500, where recently I have used T58 in a similar recipe. The t58 was very overpowering with spice and pepper tones, where the trappist ale comes across with a strong banana flavour at first. There is alot of pepperyness in the aftertaste. Both yeasts have that pepperyness about them. Has anyone noticed this in their belgians.

I also made 1kg of belgian candy sugar. I found the info on a website which I dont have handy, but its quite simple: 1kg of caster sugar in a large saucepan. Add enough water to liquify. Add 1tsp of Citric Acid. Bring to the boil and raise the temp to between 127 and 134 degrees. Keep this temperature constant by adding 1 tbsp of water as the temp gets to about 130 degrees. After about 15 minutes, the colour changes. Slowely, but it does change. The longer, the darker. In my belgian, I waited until it was a little darker than straw.

When you reach the colour you require, stop adding the tbsps of water and let the temp rise to 150 deg. turn off the heat and pour in an oven tray with greaseproof paper in it. whack it in the freezer and your done. when you want to use it, get it out of the paper and add it to the boil.

Im impressed with the outcome of my last recipe. Even though it was a bit stronger than planned, there is alot of complexity with the flavours and the alcohol isnt unbalanced. A warming winter beer for those cold nights. (not that there is many on the gold coast!!!)

Brad

Tangent,

Ive tasted many belgian beers, but the t58 yeast was overpowering moreso than any other belgian that I have tried.

Do you have a favourite belgian yeast? What are the characters? Do you use Candy sugar?

Brad

Tangent,

Ive tasted many belgian beers, but the t58 yeast was overpowering moreso than any other belgian that I have tried.

Do you have a favourite belgian yeast? What are the characters? Do you use Candy sugar?

Brad

I've done a few beers with t58. I like it for particularly for spiced or fruit beers, or even a pale ale.

Haven't encountered the overpowering nature, but that's probably due to the types of beers it's been in.

I've used White Labs 550 as a general purpose belgian for a wit followed by a dark strong ale and was very impressed. It had a spiciness that backed up well with the two styles.

Haven't had a crack at making my own candi sugar but I've had a file on how to do it sitting on the computer for quite a while now... I used some sticks of brown sugar from an asian supermarket.

I've recently made a pale ale duvel style, belgian recipe, scottish ale yeast, which is tasting great so far...

to tell the truth, the yeast that really sings to me is the Belgian Wit (Wheat) (you accountants can go look the number up)
depends on what you're trying to make, big raisiny strong dark ales or beautiful blond ale or (one of my favourites) a Wit.

how did you squeeze overpowering out of such a mild mannered yeast?

OK these yeasts were lodged in my brain as being unusual in a Belgian way:
Belgian Strong Ale ding ding ding..we have a winner!
Forbidden Fruit
Wit

all too individual to get from a dried yeast (so far)

I recently brewed a Belgian Dark Strong with T-58. Was initially very spicy and peppery, has subsided a little now, much more balanced (2-3 months in bottle now). A lot of raisin/fig flavour has come through too.

What temperatures are you fermenting with T-58 with? (Tangent and Brad)

I pitched at 20ish, and let it go up to 26 in the second week. Next time I use it, I might keep it down a little more, but I think next one I'll be using liquids.

Tangent/adamt,

Send me a pm with your address. I will send you one of my belgians with t58 with pleasure. I bottled it early december which makes it at least 3 1/2 months old. I had one now and noticed the fig (along with the pepper). My tastebuds tell me that the pepper is overpowering, but others also tell me that its the first thing that they notice (pepper).

Please tell me where 'mild mannered comes from'? In the 3 x t58 brews Ive done, mild mannered is an understatement.

Ive used the belgian wit-ale yeast, and the beer turned out amazing. I agree tangent. The wit is one of my favs too.

Ive got a couple of t58 belgians left if there is others who would like to try, then comment. Im interested to see the outcome. PM me and Ill see what I can do.

Brad

I recently brewed a Belgian Dark Strong with T-58. Was initially very spicy and peppery, has subsided a little now, much more balanced (2-3 months in bottle now). A lot of raisin/fig flavour has come through too.

What temperatures are you fermenting with T-58 with? (Tangent and Brad)

I pitched at 20ish, and let it go up to 26 in the second week. Next time I use it, I might keep it down a little more, but I think next one I'll be using liquids.

From what I've read and experienced T58 works better at the higher temps. I have a feeling that its character comes out much less at more normal ale temps.

From what I've read and experienced T58 works better at the higher temps. I have a feeling that its character comes out much less at more normal ale temps.

thanks bconnery,

What temp would you ferment t58 at so as to reduce the pepper?

brad

thanks bconnery,

What temp would you ferment t58 at so as to reduce the pepper?

brad

Well I can't be certain, as I've always fermented it high. But if you were to drop it down to more 17-18, 20 at the highest perhaps?

Well I can't be certain, as I've always fermented it high. But if you were to drop it down to more 17-18, 20 at the highest perhaps?

17-20 is the temps that I fermented my 3 t58 brews! :huh:

Brad

17-20 is the temps that I fermented my 3 t58 brews! :huh:
Brad

Don't know what to tell ya Brad!
Combination with the types of sugars and malts? Particularly strong batch of t58?

Back