Belgian ale grain bill ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so brew day this Saturday. was going to do a kolsch but now thinking about keeping the same bill and doing it with a MJ Belgian ale yeast instead .Last 2 brews have been 6.5% so this one want something down near 5% as a drinker

my grain plan for the Kolsch was

90% pilsner
5% munich
5% wheat

and was going to use Magum to bitter and some saaz for flavor as I already have some left over

seems like it work work for a 5% ish belgian style ? should I up something ?

90% pilsner
5% munich
5% wheat

and was going to use Magum to bitter and some saaz for flavor as I already have some left over

It'll be good. If you want a more malt presence, up the munich to 10-15%. If you want some more body and cloudiness, up the wheat (you could take it all the way up to being equal proportions pils vs wheat).
I wouldn't change the hops, they'll be fine.

Mash low to get it nice and dry

It'll be good. If you want a more malt presence, up the munich to 10-15%. If you want some more body and cloudiness, up the wheat (you could take it all the way up to being equal proportions pils vs wheat).
I wouldn't change the hops, they'll be fine.

Mash low to get it nice and dry
Thanks man

Yeah planning to mash 64 for 90 min. Same as the Kölsch plan

Just a matter of personal taste, but I enjoy my lighter coloured and moderate ABV Belgian beers to be quite dry, so I mash at about 62 for 90 mins on them

Have you done it ?
Yeah. Been in fermenter a week.

Been a crazy ferment with wlp550. Day 3 I had to clean it up 5 times due to krausen flowing through airlock.

Opened it to dry hop it last night and it smells great.I replace some of the Saaz with some Mandrina Bavria, just cause they had it and i hadn't tried it before

Last edited:
and its infected. had a grasshopper living insider fermenter ,over attenuated and tasted thin and tart in a bad way. hope the grasshopper enjoyed it .

tipped and going to re brew this weekend .have a bigger fermenter , up to 30l from 25l now so the explosive krausen should hopefully not be an issue

Fantastic bar in Amsterdam was called Grasshopper. Dont know if it still exists.
I have made by best beer to date from an accident!
Experiments are good.

Back