Beginners Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not airtight, just takes a bit of pressure for the CO2 to escape due to the rubber ring holding it on. I went to the local hospitality supplies and got a roll of the wide caterers cling wrap, its probably a bit thicker too. When I bottle I pierce the wrap otherwise it gets drawn down into the fermenter, but as it is already flat and there is no audible hiss when I pierce it so I suspect by that stage the pressure has equalised.

cool.. I might try this next time.. then I can get a better view :D

Another silly question.. what do I do with the remaining hop flowers, put in the freezer or in the fridge??

Temp of 26c is definetly too high. For most ales try and keep it between 18-22c. Lower the better to stop the yeast producing funky thinks.

If the hops are open I'd throw them in the freezer but have also read the fridge is fine.

I already did this recipe, last night.. the S.G 1060 (isnt that high for a beer).. it was an experiment. I also added the yeast last night when it finally cooled down.

This morning its still as..(no movement in the air lock at all) I have checked that it is air tight. Why no activity is Nottingham slow to start?

Last time i checked... Nottingham was an ALE yeast, and your aiming to brew a crap, flavourless LAGER.
You sure you wouldnt prefer to brew an I.P.A. with all these delicious hop flowers and ale yeast?
Maybe you should just use the yeast that came with your quality tin of extract.

Last time i checked... Nottingham was an ALE yeast, and your aiming to brew a crap, flavourless LAGER.
You sure you wouldnt prefer to brew an I.P.A. with all these delicious hop flowers and ale yeast?

Im pretty new to all this.. so first of all what is a I.P.A?
and secondly Im open to suggestions, if you got a recipe you can recommend. :)

Nottingham is an ale yeast but further up the thread he also said that his yeasts to choose from were
the one from the Coopers Australian Pale Ale Kit
Safale t-58
Danstar Nottingham

I think Chookers realises that his brew is going to be a bit different to the original recipe.

Hello there,

I have a can of Morgans Pale Malt Extract, 500g LDME, 500g dex, 250g maltodex. I also have 50g Cascade hops (5.7%) and 40g of saaz hops (4.0%). I am attempting to bypass a kit tin and bitter this myself. Can someone recomend if these hops and ok for the job, are there enough of them and all being well, in what combinations/timing should I use them.

I have a starter going with US05 as well.

Thanks

Check some of the recipes in the database as a reference..

I just tried to make my first extract brew using a lager recipe from an old book I got, and realise only today I used the wrong Brew Enhancer (I put BE1 which is just Dex and Maltodextrin, instead of BE2 which is LDM and Maltodextrin).. Im dissapointed in myself for not double checking, but this is all learning experience..

I hope someone more experienced than myself can help you with this RIF.. I'd use it if it was me ;) just to see how it goes.

Good Luck

Thats good enough for me man.. I have run some combinations through the recipe spreadsheet. It works out ok for a blonde if I do:

23L
1.5kg LME (Morgans Pale)
500g LDME
500g Dex
250g Maltodex.

2 Litres water rolling boil
30g cascade (5.7%) @60 min
20g cascade @20 min
12.5g saaz (4%) @0 min.

I will be doing it in a few hrs so am just gonna close my eyes and hope for the best.. I hope I got it right :)

If its not too late you may like to back off the maltodextrin a bit. On the occasions I use it I have only used 100g. You can probably use more but apparently once you reach a certain level it can contribute a soapy taste. Not sure of what that level is, never been tempted to find out by experimenting.

It was too late. She's done!!! The sugars were from the LHBS under the label of 'Ultra Blend'. I am assuming there is that much maltodex. Maybe there is less, I am only guessing.

Came out @ OG 1042. I could maybe dry hop in a few days if anyone thinks it might need it. Got no clue on what to expect from the hops.. Hope its drinkable though..

I have used around 250g of maltidextrin in earlier brews with no adverse effects but much preferred it once I stepped spec grains such as carapils.

Your recipe looks good and I'm sure you'll enjoy the difference. I think you just caught hopatitis.

I've just done the following:
Coopers Mex
1kg LDME
500G Dex
250g Crystal steeped
20g Galaxy 20min
15g Galaxy 7min
10g Galaxy dry hopped
Nottingham yeast

It's turned out pretty good. Heavy fruity flavours from the Galaxy, probably a little overboard. I'd probably drop it back to 10g at each addition.
Has a fair ammount of residual sweetness from all the malt. To me a little like Fat Yak.

With your ingredients I'd go:
Coopers Mex
BE1
(an extra 500g dex optionally)
10g Galaxy 20min
10g Galaxy 7min
And go with US-05 yeast. (I've discovered the Nottingham doesn't clear anywhere near as well)

Ammarillo as other have mentioned is another good fruity hop.

Edits for clarification.

why would you go with the BE1 over the BE2??
Would Bsaaz or Nelson Sauvin work in place of the galaxy, or is the galaxy fruitier?

Would 150gms Cara Pils Malt, go well with the Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit. and also is it necessary to crack these grains? Should I use it with the BE2 (LDME/Maltodextrin) or the BE1 (Dextrose/Maltodextrin)??

I will have Galaxy hop flowers and Amarillo or Cascade 12g Finishing hops.. but I dont know which one to use??? I only want to pick one of these.

I have gone over the previous posts and plan on doing:

1 x Cerveza kit
500g Dextrose
500g BE2 (LDME/Maltodextrin)
Hops??? this is where Im unable to decide..
US-05 yeast

I am going to make an insulated box to put it in, Im going to Clark Rubber to get some foam and rubber, Im going to insulate on the outsides of a storage box 60-100L have to take measurments first. I will test it first to ensure its insulating abilities. Im confident however dubious that this will work. (and if it does I will post pickies) if not I'll just deny I ever did it in the first place :p

yes they have to be cracked carapils gives more head and body to the beer not sure it gives a huge flavour gain. with a mexican kit (if its like carona) there is no flavour so depends what you want. Id use 10g amarillo and 10g cascade in last 5-10 mins.

buy a 2nd hand fridge usually under $50 and a $30 ebay temp controller prob cost less then buying from clark rubber and you know it works plus takes 30 mins to setup

yes they have to be cracked carapils gives more head and body to the beer not sure it gives a huge flavour gain. with a mexican kit (if its like carona) there is no flavour so depends what you want. Id use 10g amarillo and 10g cascade in last 5-10 mins.

buy a 2nd hand fridge usually under $50 and a $30 ebay temp controller prob cost less then buying from clark rubber and you know it works plus takes 30 mins to setup

kelbygreen, I would love to have a fridge.. unfortunately I have no room :( , so Im thinking of something I can deconstruct when I dont need it, and I already have large storage boxes that are'nt being used just sitting in the shed collecting dust. I might even have styrafoam lying around in there.. just gotta put it all together and test it out.

With the amarillo and cascade, is it ok to use those tea baggy things with 12g in, or should I use pellets or flowers.. its just that I really dont want to commit to these hops by buying 100g, incase I dont like them.

With the amarillo and cascade, is it ok to use those tea baggy things with 12g in, or should I use pellets or flowers.. its just that I really dont want to commit to these hops by buying 100g, incase I dont like them.

A couple of things:

Yes, it's ok to use those tea baggy things, but as for when you say "OR should i use pellets or flowers"....Are you aware that those tea bags ARE pellets already measured out for you? That's not necessarily a good thing i've found. I rarely use something cause it's easier..Not saying that this is what you are doing but it's obviously why they (LHBS) sell/market/push them so hard....

Also, that cerveza can is the least hopped kit in the coopers range and as such, if you are trying to brew to style, adding 12g of hops won't really do much at all for your beer, therefore i wouldn't bother with the tea bag.
If you use the hop tea bag as a bittering addition, the quantity is probably in the ballpark depending on the variety of hop it is of course.
If you use the hop tea bag as a flavour addition i'm not sure 12g would do much (once again variety dependent).
If you use the hop tea bag as a dry hop addition for aroma/flavour, you may not notice it either. Most people who dry hop (there are many that don't like the results) would go with something like 1g of hops per litre or thereabouts....You'll certainly notice a beer that's dry hopped like this. Like it / Don't like it depends on your taste, but you will notice it either way.

If you are trying to brew to style, neither of those hops will get close. The hop used by Corona (mexican cerveza) is Galena if i'm not mistaken, and i don't have any experience with using this variety. I have used tonnes of Cascade over the years and like it. I've used amarillo before and liked that one too, but will be different from a corona.

One last thing, i could be way wrong, (and happy to be corrected) but i was sure that BE1 was 50/50 LDM and Dextrose, and the BE2 was 50/25/25 LDM, Maltodextrin, and Dextrose. They may have changed the ingredients as it's been a long time since i used either...

Hope this helps

bignath

Thanks Big Nath, Im not try to brew to style, I just wanted some nice fruity hop flavours in the cerveza. Your hop breakdown makes it clear to me, Im just going to have to pick one and go with it.

On the back of the Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 box under ingredients it says: Dextrose, Maltodextrin (but it does not give %) This is the same ingredients listed as the Coopers Brewing Sugar.

On the back of Coopers BE2 it says : Dextrose, Light Dry Malt, Maltodextrin.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

(I got a 4 Cup french press/coffee plunger at BigW $18.88) and I still have some Bsaaz flowers left over. would they go well with the Cerveza?

On a separate note: has anyone used Dsaaz Riwaka?

mmmmmmm, BSaaz - Lovely hop, one of my favourites! You'll get floraly, fruity tones out of that, and Cascade will too. Don't remember exactly what i got from Amarillo, but if you are after florally, fruity hops, Cascade's a good choice.

Haven't used Riwaka.

If you use the BSaaz flowers and you like it, it's also available from sponsors of this site (top of page) and known as Motueka.

First time i used BSaaz it was in combination with Cascade for a "Tony's LCBA recipe" and loved it. Wanted to buy this combo again but in pellets as the flowers were harder to isolate in my setup before going to my boiler kettle, and was disappointed that it didn't appear to be available as a pellet until i realised that this hop has two names and whattaya know - Moteuka is available. Great Hop.

Back