Beginner Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel_cabban

Reaction score
Hey im new to kegging, and this site, so bear with me...

ive recently bought a ball lock keg setup, and will be using a chest freezer with a fridgemate, for can and kilo type brews.

my question is about the keg posts, and the couplers/disconnects: i have the black beer and grey gas plastic disconnects, hooked to my tap, and reg respectively, but from what i have read, i should be carbonating through the dip tube, which is attached to the beer/output post. this method proves a problem with me because the gas disconnect leaks like a sieve when connected to the beer post.

am i doing something wrong? do i need to run another gas line with a beer disconnect specifically for carbonating? after i burp the keg, could i carbonate the keg upside down to make the CO2 flow through the beer?? or are my posts/ disconnects not right?

my keg seems to be holding pressure at 15psi empty no worries so leads me to believe the keg WAS serviced as stated when i bought it, and the disconnects (ebay specials) also hold pressure when not on the keg posts...

any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
joel

You can just keep gas connected to the gas post, lay the keg on the floor and rock back and forth with your foot to force carb.

The method you are talking about, where you keep the keg upright and rock back and forth, does require you to connect a beer (black) disconnect to the gas line, and then attach that to the beer out post, so that the gas is forced down to the bottom of the keg. This is much easier to do if you have John Guest disconnects that easily allow you to move different disconnects onto different gas / beer line.

Have a look in gear and equip section and all you Q?'s will be answered but to get to nitty gritty of your post, black and grey disconnects are not the same size, push hard enough and you won't get it off without a fight.
I carb through the gas post rocking the keg let it settle, burp set to serve pressure and BAM! carbed beer.

am i doing something wrong?

Not as such, as per other posts above, gassing in via the dip tube results in reaching full carbonation quicker - however as a beginner kegger, I would recommend going with the roll method as per MB's post above. This way you cannot overcarb the beer.

An even easier method is to leave your keg on the gas in the fridge as per normal for 1 - 2 weeks, giving it a shake every now and then. Nice fine bubbles in the beer, and it shall carb up nicely. Sample during the week to check of course! ;) :icon_cheers:

Get that second brew happening so you can slowly carb beer #2 whilst enjoying beer #1 on tap.

ok thanks guys... a world of help! these john guest disconnects you speak of mark, would i need different posts on the kegs to suit? or will they fit the regular ones? also, my fridge isnt ready (havent installed the fridgemate yet) will my beer keep in the fermenter for a few more days or would i be better to put it in the keg and burp out the oxygen?

You know your black and grew plastic disconnects that connect to the keg posts? Well the john guest fittings connect to them. You need the type of plastic disconnects that have the threaded part that the john guest bits screw onto. There's also barbed types that take line straight on to them. Do you know which ones you have?

Have a look at the craft brewer site and you'll see what I mean.

ok cool does anyone know of dodgy disconnects from ebay? i bought mine as a set, and found the gas one is good, so long as i dont bump it around it doesnt leak, but if i put 8psi in the keg and connect the beer d/c, it leaks out the collar flat out... compared to the one i tested at my brew shop, which didnt leak at all under pressure... might get some with the guest fittings, then i can carbonate through the dip tube...

if im doing anything stupid someone tell me, coz i'm kinda just wingin' it for now... ;)
cheers

Any markings on the disconnects? post a pic of them and someone may know the ones you speak of.

my most effective method of carbing is 32psi on the gas post for 42hrs, longer but no rolling or shaking. works a treat for my beers

cheers
matt

have a look at the brew reckoner and just set you pressure to your stile of beer and the temp in the fridge..

and then be patent (about 3-4 days) and you will have a perfect carbed brew. i find that force carbing just doesn't give nice bubbles compared to waiting..

just have extra kegs then you pour from and have em sitting waiting on the gas.. then you always have perfect beer ready to go

edit forgot the link: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&id=17948

ok cool does anyone know of dodgy disconnects from ebay? i bought mine as a set, and found the gas one is good, so long as i dont bump it around it doesnt leak, but if i put 8psi in the keg and connect the beer d/c, it leaks out the collar flat out... compared to the one i tested at my brew shop, which didnt leak at all under pressure... might get some with the guest fittings, then i can carbonate through the dip tube...

if im doing anything stupid someone tell me, coz i'm kinda just wingin' it for now... ;)
cheers

Hi Joel

Check the post o-ring is ok Also do you use o-ring lube? Regarding your carbonation remember you can get the gas in a lot faster than your beer matures so no real need to rush it unlses you are behind, which in the begining, you probably will be :)

Force carbonating should allow you to hit your desired level every time, without exception. There is not much more annoying than an overgased keg. There is bound to be
a carbonation chart posted in here somewhere hopefully somone can point you to it.
There are two methods of force carbonating your beer in a Homebrew keg. The patient method and the impatient method . The patient method will always give you
the most repeatable results it just takes longer. It's based strictly on numbers so you can do it over and over and achieve the same results every time.
The amount of CO that will dissolve into your beer is dependent on two factors -
Temperature and Pressure.
The temperature is easy, its the temp you will be drinking your beer at (usualy).
Generally ales tend to be carbonated at the lower end, 1.9 to around 2.3; most German style lagers at around 2.4 to 2.7; and Australian lagers, and wheat beers at
around 2.7 to 3.0. The amount of CO dissolved in beer is most often referred to in terms of volumes. Volumes of CO are defined as the volume the CO gas would
occupy if it were removed from the beer at atmospheric pressure and 0C, compared to the original volume of beer.
Most beers in the Australia contain roughly 2.5-3.0 volumes of carbon dioxide, or about 5 grams per litre. This means that if all the carbon dioxide in one litre of
beer were expanded at 0C and at one atmosphere of pressure, its volume would be 2.5-3 litres.
Equilibrium means the same amount of CO is diffusing out of the beer as is being dissolved back into solution. For a given temperature (this will be the temperature you
will be drinking your beer at in most cases) say 2 deg.c and with your regulator set to 10-12psi (For around 2.5 volumes) the beer CANNOT overcarbonate unless the
temp goes down or the pressure goes up.
The Patient Method

1) Clean and sanitise your keg thoroughly. I always purge the Keg with a little CO to exclude oxygen.
2) Gently rack your beer into the keg and filter if desired
3) Replace the lid on the keg and re-pressurise again to 10 psi, let it sit for a short while, bleed the pressure off again to re-purge (also known as burping your keg).
4) Determine the temperature that your beer will be during carbonation and set your regulator accordingly. Give your beer a week or 2 to carbonate. It will reach its
saturation point within this amount of time if the temperature is right, and the regulator will shut down altogether. Remember that the gas can be connected to the
black disconnect (you will need a black connector to make this easy) so that the CO bubbles up through the beer but is not a requirment.
A big word of caution here - if your cylinder runs low, beer can return via the gas line and ruin your regulator. This method is called reverse booting and has ruined many
an expensive regulator. Fit a non return valve in you gas line to be safe if your reg hasn't got one.
The Impatient Method
The most surprising thing about this method is how often it actualy works! It seems to be because a fairly wide range of carb levels are exceptable.
1) Follow step 1 through 3 from the patient method and chill to desired temperature. Remember beer will not absorb the CO at room temperature without excessive
pressure.
2) Set your regulator to 30 psi and pressurise your keg through the gas beverage fitting until you hear/feel the flow of gas stop, and shake your keg vigorously for 5
minutes or so. Alternatively lay your keg on its side and gently rock the keg, if you have the gas post at the bottom you will hear the gas rushing into the keg. Stop
rocking and soon the gas will stop, rock again and gas will once again flow.
3) Repeat step 2 until:
a) Your beer will receive no more carbonation at this pressure setting at which time it will be over-carbonated.
B) You die of a massive heart attack.
c) You fluke the correct carbonation level
This method should only be used as a last resort. Even if it doesn't cause you grievous bodily harm, it leads to rough handling of your precious homebrew and
uncertain carbonation levels. It must be said though that this method is widly used.

Hi Joel

[snip]
3) Replace the lid on the keg and re-pressurise again to 10 psi, let it sit for a short while, bleed the pressure off again to re-purge (also known as burping your keg).
[snip]

What's the purpose of this step?

Back