Beginner Ag Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaka

Reaction score
I havn't got any AG equipment yet but I am pretty sure I will be moving into AG. So do you use anywhere between 4kg and 5kg of grain in most all recipes?
If so, how much is the cost roughly for this amount of grain?

Amount of grain you use depends on your batch size, what strength you want the beer, and your efficiency. 4-5kg is a rough guide for 20-25L of a 5% beer.

Grain price depends on the grain, how and where you buy it. $4 a kilo is a rough price buying by the kilo. A lot cheaper if you buy in bulk.

Do you AG'ers ever use Dextrose...probably not. I guess if you want a higher alcohol volume, you would just whack in more grain....am I right?

AG stands for All Grain. So yes, more malt :D

Do you AG'ers ever use Dextrose...probably not. I guess if you want a higher alcohol volume, you would just whack in more grain....am I right?

Mostly yeah, hence being called "all grain" ;)
BUT in saying that there are some recipes that call for dex for various reasons. Thinner, higher alc without the body etc.

Ok thanks guys, probably a silly question lol

Not a silly question at all Peaka, there is nothing at all wrong with using dex in an AG brew, many AG recipes call for sugar of different kinds. You just have to make sure you don't go crazy with it, you want to keep the AG malt as the backbone of your brew.

cheers

Browndog

Hey Peaka, I do 26L batches as a rule but my efficiency is down... SO

If I wanna do a stronger ABV batch I still ad some LDME which I guess makes it a GIANT partial but still:

6.5kg of Grain vs 500g LDME is still gonna taste the same!! IMO!

jump in.

Cheers
Cocko

As bd said, there are no silly questions. As has been said, it can be OK to add certain non malt adjuncts into the brew. (Yes, I said it. Pick yourself up off the floor, cocko. :lol: )

Wambesi mentioned it is used for various reasons, and 'reasons' is the operative word.

If it is used to perform a specific function that cannot be done (easily) with grain or a change of mash schedule, then not only can it be used, it should be used. Such as in some belgians.
If its there just for the sake of it (such as to save cost on a kilo of grain in a low or medium grav beer, instead of increasing the grain and mashing a degree or 2 cooler for an example) then it shouldn't be used imho.

I always ask myself "what does this ingredient contribute to the final beer? What purpose does it serve? Is there another ingredient (or process change) that will serve that purpose better?". And for me, that applies not only to simple adjunct, but to the grains and the hops themselves.

Just my 2c.

I'm so glad I'm a part of this Homebrew community..everyone is so helpful :)
Just another question....what is the minimum equipment you can get away with to start using grains to make your homebrew?

I'm so glad I'm a part of this Homebrew community..everyone is so helpful :)
Just another question....what is the minimum equipment you can get away with to start using grains to make your homebrew?

People love bling. Some bling looks good, some bling makes the process easier. But it's not essential.

To let you know what I use. 1 55L esky to mash in. Got it free from someone who didn't need it anymore. SS braid in the tun, about $10 at bunnings. This is connected to a cut off piece of bottling wand pushed through a rubber bung, which then pushes into the esky drain hole. Food grade hose on the other side, no tap, I just clamp it. So about maybe another couple of bucks there. And maybe a couple bucks for various sundry items.

I have a marga mill, cost $105 at the time, but a mill for me is a matter of convenience, not necessity. I live near beerbelly and get my grain there, and he is happy to mill, as are most good lhbs.

For me, the boil portion is where I wish I had more. Currently have 18L electric urn (also free). I also have cheap 18L SS pot which I believe cost me $15. So I have to do a split boil, which is a complete PITA, and I would not reccomend at all. :( That being said, though, it still produces good beer. Just a bit of stuffing around, and higher kettle losses as a result. The pot and the urn, though, I already had from extract brewing....and I've seen cheap sales on this site from time to time of larger vessels...

And thats it. Fermenters, cubes, etc, etc, I already had when I stepped up, so I don't count those.

So you don't need a lot, nor do you need to spend a lot. My setup, apart from the mill, is under $50. So even getting a pot, burner, and regulator, on top of that, it's still damn cheap. (or at least can be.) I often think about the fable of the zero G pen developed by NASA at great expense, and the Russian equivilant - a pencil. :lol:

As bd said, there are no silly questions. As has been said, it can be OK to add certain non malt adjuncts into the brew. (Yes, I said it. Pick yourself up off the floor, cocko. :lol: )

OMG someone has logged in as Butters and is posting under his user name!! :D

Peaka, Maybe look at BIAB as a starting point for you. You need the least amount of equipment and still get to get into AG'ing.

All you need is a kettle - Big pot or converted keg...
A burner.
A bag.

Obviously all the other bits n pieces that you should already have if you a brewing anyway... fermenter etc!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=11694

BTW: It's very easy and the beer is well worth the extra effort, if you see it as an effort!! :icon_cheers:

Happy Brewing!

Cocko.

Back