Beer wars over as Coles pulls pin on discounts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The breweries are already doing it. Load of BUL out there.

They're gonna have to suck it up.

Or, here's a BLEEDING OBVIOUS idea ... open their own retail outlets. And undercut the Duopoly.

Bribie G said:
Having lived in Australia for 35 years I have always been puzzled by the lack of supermarket brand beers - they've been doing it in the UK since I was a lad. In fact the COOP society even had their own brewery back in the 60s.
Often wondered why they hadn't done this until recently. Tried quite a range of Tesco/Sainsbury beers whilst over there - they weren't bad!

These days Coles & Woolies (and other retail chains), have been pushing their own brand products, the Woolies Select/You'll Love Coles stuff.
Whilst these products generally arn't the highest quality, they're still decent and offer the consumer a similar product at a more affordable price point. These products are pushed hard by retailers because they are not only exclusive to that chain, but represent much better profit margins for said retailer.
The liquor industry is starting to see more of this with own brand wines/cleanskins, and the emergence of not just private label import beers, but "craft" beers. And naturally retailers are going to push these products like nothing else because of the GP it produces.

Being in retail myself, you get customers ask why are these beers "so cheap"... simple response is "Why do Tooheys/CUB beers cost so much?", because we're making bugger all off them.

Coles and Woolies are really only just getting into liquor stores and fuel outlets, it obviously paying off for them so watch'em go now. Don't think it's going to do you any good though.

Batz

Nick JD said:
Can the ACCC come in and thump Coles and Woolies for this?

I mean, picture a future (bright) where Carlton is Cole's bitch, and bogans have to drive to a brewery to buy a slab of VB because Coles no longer stocks it.

Sounds like CUB will be making Coles Brand beer and Lion will be making Woolies Brand beer in a few years.

Perhaps IGA will stock craftbreweries beer?
the ACCC is a toothless tiger...good for **** all,if i am correct all they can do is recommend action not prosecute? ..cheers....spog...

I went to a barber the other day and he offered me a beer (offer was retracted when he realised they were all warm) & it was an Aldi lager. I was a bit horrified, but presumably this will be common place in the not too distant future. How does this all affect places like Dan Murphy's? Will they contract their range? I can't see that happening - variety/quality is why they are so successful

All they will do is encourage more and more people to engage in Home brewing. It's amazing when you talk to friends about HB just how many of them have taken up making basic kit brews etc.
As I have said many times of late....... Greed and foreign investment from overseas will **** this country of ours right up the clacker!

bum said:
If the masses wanted it they'd buy it anyway.

So the war is over at last! Who won?
Does that make it VB Day? Though I doubt people will be dancing in the streets this time.

tumblr_ln54m3yyNj1qaoly1o1_500.jpg

This image would probably change to fingering behind a dumpster.

I just tried to photoshop a stubbie of VB into a similar image yet i gave up.

Back