Beer Tools Pro

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just started using beer tools pro and im doing a stout recipe. I have calibrated all my equipment but the figures just dont add up.

My mash tun is a 50L eski with a bazooka mesh filter and the:

Heat capacity is 16002.4 j/k
Environment:21C
infusion volume:30L
Infusion temp:75C
Temp after 5min:68C
Temp after 65min:65C

My final volume in the recipe is 20L

Beer tools pro calculates that my strike temp should be 82C and this will bring my final temp to 66C

There is about 5kg of grain so i put in for infuse/decoct 15L

I just cant see how the strike temp being 82C will lose so much heat to become 66C when all I lost when testing with water was 10C. I realise that the grain bill will bring the temp down somewhat more but isnt 82C to hot??

Any help much appreciated or if anyone knows where i could find a better manual than the one that came with BTP

Cheers Gav

Hi Guys,

I have just started using beer tools pro and im doing a stout recipe. I have calibrated all my equipment but the figures just dont add up.

My mash tun is a 50L eski with a bazooka mesh filter and the:

Heat capacity is 16002.4 j/k
Environment:21C
infusion volume:30L
Infusion temp:75C
Temp after 5min:68C
Temp after 65min:65C

My final volume in the recipe is 20L

Beer tools pro calculates that my strike temp should be 82C and this will bring my final temp to 66C

There is about 5kg of grain so i put in for infuse/decoct 15L

I just cant see how the strike temp being 82C will lose so much heat to become 66C when all I lost when testing with water was 10C. I realise that the grain bill will bring the temp down somewhat more but isnt 82C to hot??

Any help much appreciated or if anyone knows where i could find a better manual than the one that came with BTP

Cheers Gav

I use BTP.
When you say you have calibrated your equipment, & using an esky for your mash tun, I would assume you aren't directly heating it? Leave the heat capacity column blank & only put in your mash tun shape, width, height, length & deadspace. Leave everything else at default. The window asking for your temps after 5mins & strike temps are aimed at those using heat under the mash tun, direct fired. I use a 50lt keggle for my mash tun. I use 3.75l/kg for most recipes depending on what volume my sparge ends up at. If I have too little sparge water in the recipe, I strike in with less water to grain ratio but always 3l/kg or over. Will be running Herms shortly.

A typical American Pale Ale for me with a 5.1kg grain bill, 25l batch:
Strike in 19.2l water @70.38deg, sacc rest @66deg ( 3.75l/kg )
No water added to mash tun, continue re-circulation through Herms & up temp to 78deeg for 10mins ( Mash Out )
Drain tun fully & batch sparge with 20.33l water ( 76.8deg ) I sometimes split this up & do an equal double batch sparge ( 10.16l ea )
Efficiency mid to high 80"s.
Your 82deg strike in is not right, something is entered incorrectly somewhere mate.
Cheers

I use BTP.
When you say you have calibrated your equipment, & using an esky for your mash tun, I would assume you aren't directly heating it? Leave the heat capacity column blank & only put in your mash tun shape, width, height, length & deadspace. Leave everything else at default. The window asking for your temps after 5mins & strike temps are aimed at those using heat under the mash tun, direct fired. I use a 50lt keggle for my mash tun. I use 3.75l/kg for most recipes depending on what volume my sparge ends up at. If I have too little sparge water in the recipe, I strike in with less water to grain ratio but always 3l/kg or over. Will be running Herms shortly.

A typical American Pale Ale for me with a 5.1kg grain bill, 25l batch:
Strike in 19.2l water @70.38deg, sacc rest @66deg ( 3.75l/kg )
No water added to mash tun, continue re-circulation through Herms & up temp to 78deeg for 10mins ( Mash Out )
Drain tun fully & batch sparge with 20.33l water ( 76.8deg ) I sometimes split this up & do an equal double batch sparge ( 10.16l ea )
Efficiency mid to high 80"s.
Your 82deg strike in is not right, something is entered incorrectly somewhere mate.
Cheers

Thanks for all that. No im not directly heating it but I read the example in the manual {quote}

Vessels are containers such as kettles, mash tuns and Picnic coolers. Vessels, as with all objects, have a property called heat capacity. Heat capacity, naturally, is a measurement of an objects capacity to store heat. If hot water is poured into a cold glass, the temperature of the water drops and the temperature of the glass rises as the glass steals some of the waters heat. This heat transfer occurs until the temperature of the water and the glass equalize. Objects with a greater heat capacity will absorb greater quantities heat from objects and substanc- es that come in contact with them.

{unquote}

Where the configure heat capacity section is it shouldnt matter what vessel you use. If I leave all this blank how would I know how much heat my cooler/eski loses over time??

Also when im finished my schedule where my Sparge water amount read from?

cheers

Latest posts

Back