Beer Smith Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crunched

Reaction score
I'm planning on putting the following recipe (posted in another thread by Fourstar):

Golden Ale Clone
American Wheat

Batch Size: 22.00 L

Boil Size: 12.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Dry Extract (5.0 EBC) Dry Extract 26.7 %
1.50 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.0 EBC) Extract 40.0 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.7 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S-04 (Fermentis) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 25.1 IBU Calories: 496 cal/l
Est Color: 17.2 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 0.65 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

I have all the ingredients, however decided I would work out how to use Beer Smith and tweak my recipe to suit my particular ingredients and their EBC/IBU levels.

So I decided to enter the recipe as posted by Fourstar into beer smith, however my Beer Profile comes out a lot different:

Batch Size: 22.00 L

Boil Size: 12.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min

1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 26.67 %
1.00 kg Wheat Dry Extract (5.0 EBC) Dry Extract 26.67 %
1.50 kg Amber Liquid Extract (12.0 EBC) Extract 40.00 %
0.25 kg Crystal Malt Medium (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.67 %
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.22 %
Bitterness: 14.1 IBU
Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 17.2 EBC

What am I doing wrong when entering this recipe? I'm trying to enter it right in Beer Smith so that I can tweak it for the ingredients I am using (hops are actually 8.2%, and EBC on some of the extracts is different etc).

Also, I'm planning on using a smaller stock pot than the recipe calls for - I only have at the moment about an 8 litre pot, so can do maybe a 5-6 litre boil. What do I need to do in Beer Smith to reflect this?

Thanks in advance!

The gravity differences will probably be due to different equipment losses (possibly evaporation losses, or effeciency differences, or loss to trub). For the sake of 2 sg points, I wouldnt worry about it that much, but if you want to get the grav the same, just open the recipe and hit 'adjust gravity'. Enter the new gravity, and it will adjust all the grain amounts proportianally.

To adjust it for the lower boil size, you can click on 'scale recipe', leave the batch size as-is, but enter the new boil size.

The hopping is probably different due to a different formula or utilisation being used. Beersmith has a few to choose from. before you start adjusting the recipe (ie you have it entered exactly like the original), go to tools/options/bitterness and see which formula you are set to. Change the formula, then go back into the recipe, and see if the IBU is closer to what was in the original. (or PM fourstar and ask him what utilisation formula he used in his recipe.) But from the differece between the two, I would take a guess, and say he is set to tinseth, and you are set to garetz. Once the hopping is right for the unadjusted recipe, then you change over your volumes, gravs, and actual alphas. To bring the IBU level back to what it should be after you enter your actual alphas and due to the different BG because of the volume change, hit 'bitterness', and that will scale the hop weights to what you need to get the right IBU.

Hope that made sense, it's easier to do than it is to describe it. ;)

Hi Crunched,

The reason for the IBU's being out of whack was my boil size for that recipe was set @ 10L~ as I had a 14L pot back then. Set ALL you're malt additions EXCLUDING the Crystal to "post boil". Boil the hops ONLY in the crystal malt. This will UP the IBU dramatically.

Buttersd70,
I didnt think adjusting the IBU formula creates that much of a difference in final IBU (its 11 IBU in this instance)

FYI, if you use the morgans based liquid extract. Colour wise, the amber/pale/extra pale options will only be margianlly different after you steep the crystal. Any tin of liquid extract will be fine on the falvour side of things as its mostly base malt. Dont forget the Crystal malt to steep, this give it the sweet edge it needs.

Enjoy!

There you go, crunched, straight from the horses mouth. ;)

Fourstar, yeah, it can make a lot of difference. Tinseth and rager are fairly similar, but garetz can be quite a bit different. I was using one of m recipes to check just how much, and 26. IBU(tinseth) changes over to 15.6BU when you change to Garetz. Thats making no changes to the recipe itself. :huh:

I didn't thinkabout setting the malt additions to 'post boil' :lol:

WOW, didnt realise it made that much of a difference.

So glad i dont have to screw around with boil volumes and post boil additons anymore to assist with getting my IBU just right.

Oh, the joys of homebrewing. Glad i wnet AG, everything so much 'simpler' now :D

Latest posts

Back