Beer on the go

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevandjo

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm sure this is already on the forum somewhere but I can't for the life of me find it.

What do people do when they drop around to a mates place for a few quiet ones? I can't drag my 19L keg around with me. I'd prefer not to bottle. Do I need to get a cpbf setup or settle for commercial beer?

Is there another option?

Thanks,
Trev

1.5L Grolsch bottle (or multiple Grolsch bottles) FTW!!! Just fill from the tap right before you leave the door, still has perfect carbonation and no oxidation effects have time to take hold. When done just rinse with hot tap water and dry for re-use.

tumblr_lgxpdyvUeY1qaqn8to1_500.jpg

2L bottle and carb caps.

But most my mates are also brewers, so normally a keg.

Could get smaller kegs although they are worth a fortune or before you keg bottle 6-12 bottles and keg the rest. Do that with every batch and you'll have a mini supply to dip into for bbqs and such.

yeah the 5L mini kegs are what i've seen and have considered (more for me in a small apartment and not being bothered or able to store so many bottles) - http://minikeg.net.au/

there's plenty of threads on here too about converting other things into mini kegs - spray bottles from aldi etc

I use 2L coke bottles with the tight arse CPBF - I just leave it in the keg fridge with the lines hooked up ready to go, so it is quick and simple to do a fill. Sanitation isn't an issue if consuming that same night. Two or three bottles is plenty, unless people expect you to share :huh:

if you have flow control taps, just throttle it right back to minimise foaming and use swing tops or PET.

I've got a couple of 1.9L growlers. Fill them up out of the tap as I'm leaving and into the esky.

I like the idea of the garden sprayer party keg though. I'll get around to building one some day.

manson81 said:
I've got a couple of 1.9L growlers. Fill them up out of the tap as I'm leaving and into the esky.

I like the idea of the garden sprayer party keg though. I'll get around to building one some day.

I made up a couple of delrin pieces on my lathe to fit the weed sprayer party kegs so that I can use cornelius keg posts on them.

Makes it ultra handy to keep pressurized using my kegerator setup or take more than 1 party keg and swap the co2 / taps over.

This is the gas in :)

So long as you have a sealed container, carbonation is not time dependant. The trouble with filling from the tap is sanitation is awkward and loss of some carbonation initially.

The other big problem with tap filling is oxidation - this can be problematic faster than infection.

None of these are a big deal if you're consuming it that night though.

I have a few growlers.
2L or 1L or both depending on how many beers I plan on having.

Rinse, Chill in the Freezer for 20 mins, reduce flow on taps, fill, cap and leave the house.

Great info.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm brewing in China at the moment and spend a lot of weekends in the countryside (about 4 hours drive) so I'll go with a few growlers if I can get hold of them until I can have a go at dent's bottle filler, maybe try to get a mini keg or 2.

I usually fill a couple of 2 litre coke bottles. Certainly work fine over the course of a day. After that you lose a bit of carbonation but not undrinkable by any means.

I usually plan each batch so that I have enough left over after kegging to fill 6 x 330ml bottles.

The bottles are saved for the times when I visit friends or want to give some beer away as a gift.

Great thing is that after a few months I usually end up with quite a few bottles, each containing a different brew.

Wigarus said:
Just thought I'd chuck up a pic of my weed sprayer keg with corny posts fitted.

:)

You're not in Brisbane by any chance? I'm happy to pay for the materials as well as either a carton of my finest or cash to help me make one with corny posts!

manson81 said:
You're not in Brisbane by any chance? I'm happy to pay for the materials as well as either a carton of my finest or cash to help me make one with corny posts!
i'm gonna take a stab and say "Location: Perth" is a no. :(

Back