Beer Fridge Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all,

Hope you're all doing well seeing as though its pretty much the weekend (and may already be for some of you lucky folk)

Just had a couple of questions regarding a brew fridge

I just drilled the necessary holes for two taps last night (fridge only fits 2 kegs as its the only sized fridge that would fit in the laundry of our unit) and am just up to removing the inner lining of the fridge to make the door be able to close (as the shelves just hit against the nearest keg when it comes time to closing)

I have noted that most people usually put a sheet of MDF against the lining of the fridge to prevent moisture from seeping in to the foam insulation (IIRC) and am just wondering what people use to stick it on? just some timber glue? I didnt think nails/screws would be able to catch on into the foam well enough so I assumed people used a glue of some description

Also, how thick does the MDF need to be? (once again, Im just assuming that it needs to be a relatively thin piece as they get decently heavy above 5mm in one big sheet)

Finally, do people just normally glue the existing seals back down onto the fridge door around the insulation/MDF or replace them with a new rubber strip? I just planned on using the same one as theres no tears or anything in it as of yet

Anyways, any help would be appreciated as I plan on finishing this over the weekend

Cheers,

Sponge

Have you looked at how the shelving is held on yet?

I did a bar fridge a few months back - the shelf moulding was held on with screws and the seal was wedged between the shelving and the door, as you tightened the screws the seal became firm, didn't need to be glued.

I used white MDF (thinnest possible). Started by removing the old shelf and used it as a template, cut the MDF out, traced the screw hole positions and drilled them out, screwed it on with the same seal. The MDF was only about 2mm thicker so the seal just adjusted fine.

Unfortunately the shelves were glued on, not screwed on, or else it would've made things a whole lot easier.

I'm just in the process of taking all of the moulded shelving off now and then cutting out the foam sections which filled up the plastic shelfing case.

And similarly to the shelving, the seal is glued on as well, so yea, unfortunately theres no existing screw holes to be used for the MDF sheet and seal

Sponge

Back