Beer filtering gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
On the weekend i kegged a smoked lager. The filtering took over an hour. The filter has done quite a few batches. A normally hose. Soak in hot water then. Reuse.

There must be something better than what the brew shops offer. Really what the brew shops offer should be transferred from keg to keg under pressure.

Also cleaning them out isn't the easiest.

Do people use anything else. How do ensure max speed.

I do find air seems to get trapped in the libe going to the filter. Do people do bleed offs or anything

I don't filter very often but when I do, I crash chill the beer to drop suspended yeast out, flush the filter with CO2 and bleed it so there's as little headspace as possible.
Gravity filtering always takes a while though (1/2 an hour?), but if it's taking ages maybe look at replacing the filter cartridge.
Keg to keg filtering is the quickest by far but I don't always have a spare keg on hand to do it. You only need the tiniest fart of pressure to get it going through.

nope. that could be two things - either air is getting in somewhere, or there is some dissolved CO2 in your beer that is getting agitated out as it goes through the filter.

Fare enough thinking i might buy a whole new one. Does anyone recommend a pacific brand

I got my last replacement cartridge from clarence water filters, the casing I use is pretty old but works fine.

I always use the cheap paper elements from lhbs. Seem to work fine but I do find sealing my housing a right PITA it always seems to leak.

I 've gone keg to keg due to so many issues getting It flowing with gravity. It helps that my fermenter is a keg

Latest posts

Back