Beer Filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wortgames,

The easiest way to go would be to get the filter kit from Craftbrewer. The most important part is to get a 1 micron absolute filter, you could get the housing from anywhere but it needs to have a release valve otherwise air/co2 will be trapped inside the housing.

A quick search should also bring up heaps of info.

Cheers
Jye

Hey Ross
How does your filter cartridgecompare to this one?Clarence beer filter i.e, what's the difference mate?

This is one bit of kit I need. I'll probably try and fly it under the radar AFTER the July case swap. :)

These are some instructions I knocked up for a friend to use the filter.

1. Fill an empty keg with water and connect the gas to the gas in and the filter (with the connect already fitted to the filter) to your beer out post.

2. Close the blue valve on the filter to allow the filter to fill with water, and use the red purge button to remove all the air in the filter canister. Youll need to keep the red purge button pressed until all the air is out of the canister.

3.Open the blue valve on the filter and run the water through the filter. This is to make sure that there is no detergent left in the filter cartridge, taste and smell the water until you cannot detect and detergent. Set the gas level to about 20-30 KPa.

4. Optional but a good idea, after all the water has been run through the filter put 2litres of boiling water in your now empty keg and run through the filter system as above (just to make sure that there are no bugs from the first lot of water you ran through).

5. Allow all the water to empty from the keg and filter and allow some CO2 to run through the system, to prevent any possibility of oxidation.

6. Now time to connect the beer keg for filtering. Run as above and make sure you purge all the air before you run.

7. After all beer is filtered the best part gas your keg and taste.

8. Then time for cleaning, all the equipment comes apart including all the tubing, they simply click together but to take apart (John Guess fittings barbed) so you need to push back the collar and pull the tubing out, use a small spanner for ease to push the collar back. Please give everything a good clean, I use the hose pipe on the filter cartridge to remove as much of the gunk from the cartridge then I soak in Napisan or Bleach (but these must be unscented) it may take a couple of goes to get it really clean. I also plunge the cartridge up and down in either of these solutions to remove as much gunk before leaving to soak. Try to remove as much gunk before soaking.

AC

Hey Ross
How does your filter cartridgecompare to this one? Clarence filter cart i.e, what's the difference mate?

They look the same,but I am sure there is some difference besides the $40.00 saving.
I know Ross did a lot a research into filters before stocking them.

Ross???

Batz

that looks to easy i reckon i could get used to filtering beer. Does it make a huge differance?

Yep

It will remove yeast and other gunk but if you have chill haze issues....... you will need to introduce other things to the beer before filtering to try and catch it.

Keolsch brewed with yeast that refuses to settle

1 week in CC, still haze so through the filter she went

cheers

Kolsch2__832_x_1248_.jpg

Has anyone else had issues every now and then with their filters.
The last brew I filtered, when I came back to check on progress the beer that had been filtered was muddier than it was before I filtered it?

Totally confused. Third time it has happened now in about 15 uses of the filter.

They look the same,but I am sure there is some difference besides the $40.00 saving.
I know Ross did a lot a research into filters before stocking them.

Ross???
Batz

Posted re this a good while back Batz, email them (Clarence Water Filters) and ask if they are 1μ absolute.

Posted re this a good while back Batz, email them (Clarence Water Filters) and ask if they are 1μ absolute.

I am not interested,I get mine from Ross

Batz

Troy,
You need to determine if it's chill haze or yeast or other factor? Warm a little of the beer and if it clears then it's chill haze and the only way you'll get rid of it is with Polyclar then filter. If it doesn't clear when warmed it is likely to be yeast; however the only beer that I've had that refused to clear was infected.

On the odd occassion even when treating with polyclar I still get a very slight haze (and I mean slight), it is chill haze and I could treat again but don't bother. I finally figured out why this was happening and it was due to not recirculating sufficiently from the mash tun; since I've recirculated more I've not had a problem. Touch wood!.

Good luck.
AC

You need to determine if it's chill haze or yeast or other factor?

No it's definitely something with the filter. I'm not sure whether it has not seated properly or something else, but the beer post filter cloudier than the beer going in.

It's not chill haze, more trub mud.

Hey Ross
How does your filter cartridgecompare to this one?Clarence beer filter i.e, what's the difference mate?

The first filter cartridge I got had dark brown ends and it was a 1 micron nominal. This is a larger filter size to the 1 micron absolute which has the purple/pink ends from Ross.

As Screwtop said just email them and check.

I've got a couple of 1 micron (nominal i guess) sediment filters that were included with some carbon filters I got on ebay to do my brew water.

would these be any use as a one-off beer filter? I've got a few beers that I'd like to get cleared up a little quicker right now.

I've got a couple of 1 micron (nominal i guess) sediment filters that were included with some carbon filters I got on ebay to do my brew water.

would these be any use as a one-off beer filter? I've got a few beers that I'd like to get cleared up a little quicker right now.

Lucas,

If they are a spun filter, they'll most likely clog before the beers finished, but if it's a pleated flilter, then you'll be fine. Either way you've got little to lose giving it a try. As long as they aren't carbon filters, which I'm assuming they're not.

cheers Ross

Hey Ross
How does your filter cartridgecompare to this one? Clarence filter cart i.e, what's the difference mate?

Sorry, missed this question.

The clarence filters are nominal, which means the actual effective filtering can be several times greater. If you want to use a nominal filter, get a 0.35 micron, but again the results will be variable. With an absolute filter, you get consistant results & in my opinion it's worth the extra few $...

Cheers Ross

i think it must be a spun filter as it doesnt look in any way pleated. might give it a shot this afternoon; I figure even if it does clog, that's at least SOME yeast and haze taken out of suspension

I used the beer filter kit from CB, and fire my beer through it using a peristaltic pump during the kegging process. I use a 50 micron filter, then a 1 micron filter. Works really well that way. I suppose you could use a keg or two and "fire" your beer through the filter if that's the method you prefer. But this way I can go from the fermenter straight to the keg. A bit lighter on resources that way.

Cheers,
Will

Back