Beer Drinking - Am I Doing It Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not an avid coopers drinker... but as as a bartender for over 12 years (here and the states, where coopers is relatively common) I have poured thousands of coopers bottles into glasses (rolled ad unrolled) as well as many more schooners/pints of the same.

I have found that rolling or not rolling the bottle will have little effect on flavour and a marginal effect on clarity.

However, an inexperienced cellarman will store a coopers keg upright (they should be stored upside down), which results in an almost crystal clear beer for about 7/8 of a keg and a demonic sludge for the remainder. Stored correctly, there is no need to roll the keg.

The marketing department has done well because most coopers drinkers will not have the clear version. It doesn't taste the same and it certainly doesnt look right.

Roll your bottle or don't roll it. Its up to you... There's got to be some fart inducers in there though.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Ces.

The appearance of yeast making a draught pour of Coopers was also identified as a key marketing advantage. You can't tell if it is a VB or New from across the room, but you can tell if it is a coopers. This is probably why they tell bartenders to roll it.

Wouldn't mind betting there's some logic there. I'm a pro muso and at gigs when the other guys order their beers for the band tab (Carlton or teds) and I grab a CPA, I certainly can tell mine from theirs..

With Coopers, I carefully pour the beer in to the glass careful not to disturb the yeast...

Then I swirl the dregs and quickly pour it in to a 1L Erlenmyer with boiled dried malt extract, and pop it on a stirplate.

^That.

Latest posts

Back