Beer Drinking - Am I Doing It Right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want yeast I'll eat vegemite sangas and eat out your Nana.

The appearance of yeast making a draught pour of Coopers was also identified as a key marketing advantage. You can't tell if it is a VB or New from across the room, but you can tell if it is a coopers. This is probably why they tell bartenders to roll it.

Everyone is off on a tangent here.

The correct procedure:

1. Yeast with the beer - drink with glass from LEFT hand
2. Yeast not in beer - drink with glass from RIGHT hand

And don't tell me this is incorrect until you've tried it in a double blind test.

IMG_0580.JPG

I won't say which Victorian craft beer this is. Straight from the keg. :icon_vomit:

Everyone is off on a tangent here.

The correct procedure:

1. Yeast with the beer - drink with glass from LEFT hand
2. Yeast not in beer - drink with glass from RIGHT hand

And don't tell me this is incorrect until you've tried it in a double blind test.

View attachment 59871

I won't say which Victorian craft beer this is. Straight from the keg. :icon_vomit:

You are drinking it with the WRONG hand!!!

:ph34r:

The roly poly Coopers serving method seems to be an SA (and maybe VIC?) marketing thing.
I can't recall ever seeing it in NSW,. I first encountered it at Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges, 45C day and they insist on rolling my beer along the bar? :wacko: Just fragging give it here!

Being a long time Guinness drinker, I got so fed up with their 'marketing pour', I always say just give me the goddamn beer, pull it straight through, I'm not standing here for 2 minutes waiting!

Being a long time Guinness drinker, I got so fed up with their 'marketing pour', I always say just give me the goddamn beer, pull it straight through, I'm not standing here for 2 minutes waiting!

I thought I was the only one!! I figure it will settle down by the time I get back to my table/seat/place in the pub or I just don't really care as long as it tastes the same

Definately a matter of opinion and taste.

I prefer to roll some beers like wheat beers and Coopers because I reckon it contributes to the flavour. I've tried Coopers both ways and it's thin and less tasty without the sediment mixed through. On tap it's nice and cloudy the way it should be :)

I find yeasts with low flocculation such Coopers and those in wheat and wit beers add flavour. Whereas high flocculation yeasts, that form a compact sediment layer, just add a nasty yeasty sediment taste.

Be interesting to have a make a database - to roll or not to roll? :p

Such a killer when you're gasping for a beer! The bar staff so often do the first pour then start serving other people and forget to return to finish it off.

Those 'ice-cold' blue Guinness taps that appeared for a while here were my first warning sign that marketing > beer for Diageo, then when I first saw what looked like Guinness on tap but turned out to be a 'special agitator' that they put the can on to 'liven it up' before pouring, I decided to drink Coopers Green whenever I had the choice, but I knew nothing of the roly poly serve then!

All of which doesn't help the mystical quest to know the true answer to drinking the yeast/anything else floating in there.

I had a chat with none other than Dr Tim Cooper at the 150th birthday bash, and asked him does HE turn or roll the bottles before drinking them?

He laughed and said no, and it was a thing dreamt up by the marketing dept to set themselves apart. He said there's no difference in taste and he doesn't bother.

So there you go, straight from the horse's mouth.

This particular horse being some random and anonymous dude on the internet.

I leave the yeast behind in the bottle as best I can but if it is a beer I've never had and I'm not too keen on it even after it warms a bit I may bung the yeast in to see if it improves the beer. Sometimes it does. Other times, well, I already wasn't enjoying the beer anyway.

With Coopers, I carefully pour the beer in to the glass careful not to disturb the yeast...

Then I swirl the dregs and quickly pour it in to a 1L Erlenmyer with boiled dried malt extract, and pop it on a stirplate.

Orval recommend not pouring the sediment, but to enjoy it after as a Vitamin B supplement.
http://www.orval.be/en/8/Brewery

Unless its an intentionally cloudy beer like a hefeweizen, I leave the sediment behind generally but often forget or am too crack handed to manage it
Hopus is the same,in Belgium they pour the yeast into a shot glass!!!!!!!!AHHHHH to be back there!!!!! :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back