Beer Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny

Reaction score
So my first batch of beer is going to be ready soon.
I need somewhere to put it when fermentation is finished.
I want either 375ml or 500ml bottles (brown glass) I don't care if they're twist or pry-off tops.

I'm going to need somewhere close (driving distance) as delivery might take too long and ebay definitely would now.
I live in Endeavour Hills about 30 minutes south east of the city. Anyone know somewhere good?

So my first batch of beer is going to be ready soon.
I need somewhere to put it when fermentation is finished.
I want either 375ml or 500ml bottles (brown glass) I don't care if they're twist or pry-off tops.

I'm going to need somewhere close (driving distance) as delivery might take too long and ebay definitely would now.
I live in Endeavour Hills about 30 minutes south east of the city. Anyone know somewhere good?

Hi Jonny, if you're stuck, go to woolies or safeway and get 740ml PET Coopers bottles. Easy and they don't explode!

I've got heaps of glass, but I'm in QLD! I'd drop them over if I could!

Cheers,

InCider.

Also, check the recycling bins at your local. Often they can be sorted by colour - clear/green/brown etc.

740 is a bit bigger than I'd like but would definitely do if I'm stuck.
Thanks for the suggestion.

So, you enjoy cleaning 60 bottles per brew???(not abusing anyone, just asking a question...) 28 per brew gives me the irits

If you have a German club nearby raid their bins for 500ml bottles... perfect size :chug:

Yeah I didn't think of it as more work, good point. I'd say 500ml would be what I want then, I think 750 is too big a drinking size for me.
46 bottles shouldn't be too bad.

I've bottled a few batches now in stubbies, and have finally had enough.
Twice as much cleaning, label/de-labelling, and capping.
I'm slowly chucking them out one by one, but keeping the odd nice bottle.
For what it's worth, pry off take less effort to cap than twist top.

edit: 750's are great, but a few 2Litre coke bottles really cut down the cleaning and bottling (good for parties too)

my 2c. no smaller than 750ml bottles. too much work especially if you brew a lot. Ive had enough with bottling full stop and moving to kegging as I use 750ml. buggered if Id use stubbies. Option: use majority 750ml and 6 stubbies. that way you can have just 1 drink if you really want. There is rarely a time where I cant easily finish a 750ml bottle.

It's not that I can't drink 750ml :D
I have a kind of strong stout brewing though, which will bottle mature for about 6 months.
So I'd planned on just have like one a night as my winter warmer, smaller quantities would last me longer.

I hate annoying, repetitive jobs as much as the next person though.
Plus I'm running out of time anyway so I'll just see what I can get.
Thanks for the advice.

It's not that I can't drink 750ml :D
I have a kind of strong stout brewing though, which will bottle mature for about 6 months.
So I'd planned on just have like one a night as my winter warmer, smaller quantities would last me longer.

I hate annoying, repetitive jobs as much as the next person though.
Plus I'm running out of time anyway so I'll just see what I can get.
Thanks for the advice.

Jonny,

I can bring 24 empty stubbies ( Cascade Light ) into Melbourne CBD if you want them....send me a PM if you do.

Rook

I have been putting boxes at my mates places and asking them to save bottles.

Also bottled my non alcoholic ginger beer into stubbies as I found the kids tended to waste longnecks, but these are all getting drank.

Bottle washing day unfortunately always comes round, I put all the dirties into a crate or crates, wash them all up and put them in the drainer. Then I line the crates with newspaper, sanitise the bottles and store them upside down covered in newspaper.

Then on bottling/brew day, I fire up the oven, cook the bottles then fill them with delicious beer :D

easy i wash me bottles out after i finished drinking them so they are clean to bottle then sanitize easy as and i do bottle a lot a small price to pay for cheap beer i use alsorts subbies 330 to 375 ml 500ml stubbies and long necks

I use stubbies for about 2/3 of each brew, and longnecks for the rest. I like to have a variety of beers each day, and that's how I do it.
I'm retired, so time is not really an issue.
I built up my stock of bottles by collecting them at my golf club.
Also, the Bundaburg ginger beer bottles are good, that's the 750 mil tallies. You can reuse the metal caps they come with if you want, but I find it easier to use recycled plastic tops from coke/pepsi bottles. Saves on capping. Just remove the security ring from the old cap on each bottle, and make sure to screw the caps on tight. These bottles are plenty strong enough.The last batch I used them on was a hefeweizen with about 20% more priming than a standard batch, no problems at all.

Jonny,

I can bring 24 empty stubbies ( Cascade Light ) into Melbourne CBD if you want them....send me a PM if you do.

Rook

Thanks for the offer rook but don't worry about it.

I went to Brewcraft in Oakleigh South today because it's near my work.
I ended up getting a mixture between 330ml and 650ml bottles, for some reason they don't have a between size.
I also got one of the benchcappers, to try and make bottling day as easy as possible.

Jonny,

You might find it worthwhile to ring a couple of reception centres in your area (my area too as it happens...). They generally go through loads of longies if you need some of them. I don't normally find stubbies hard to come by - trying to phase them out in favour of 500ml or pint bottles.

Cheers,

Tim

easy i wash me bottles out after i finished drinking them so they are clean to bottle then sanitize easy as and i do bottle a lot a small price to pay for cheap beer i use alsorts subbies 330 to 375 ml 500ml stubbies and long necks

+1.
I don't see the big deal with using stubbies, as long as you wash after finishing a bottle, it takes little effort.
Plus I have my four year old and two year old who love to "help" fill the bottles and cap them, still some years until they are allowed to empty them.... :D

I managed to get a nice amount of the old crown seal crownies, then also stocked up with my LCPA and moo brew I got whilst on holidays.
A Nice collection now of 330mL stubbies, a few 500mL and then both PET and glass longnecks. Good to have a variety!

i have noticed that HWMBO finishes whatever vessel he opens. So if I bottled in long necks I'd halve the time to bottle but I'd have to brew twice as often!

I am a kegger really easy... but a pain when it comes to a party as it is not easy to transport, tried putting it in a bottle from the keg but all I get is head...

Latest posts

Back