Beer Bible

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spesh

Reaction score
Willie Simpsons - the Beer Bible will be available in book stores on August 1st. A worthy purchase. All Australian beer books should be purchased to help our industry. Willie Simpsons articles can be read (with WA's Vic Crossland) on www.microbrewing.com.au (join the email list).

Another Australian writer that is good for home brewers is Laurie Strachan.

A good book to lift your homebrewing another level is "An analysis of Brewing Techniques" by George and Laurie Fix.

beer_bible.jpg

Vics been good for WA microbrewing. Its a hard industry and the more help the better. If all of Australia was as educated about beer as homebrewers then VB wouldnt be the number 1 selling beer. Australias problem is that we dont know enough about beers. This website should be compulsory in schools. Life not ideal but Vic helps beer and people interested in beer.

G' Day Spesh, we are familiar with Vic Crossland on this forum, read this.

Vlad,

Just read the 2005 post and now have my nose out of joint. :angry: What kind of pelican goes around besmirchifying the craftbrewing army we are? I think he must have been smoking the 'other' hops when he wrote that article. :wacko: We don't get him as far as I know over on the East Coast.

Cheers,

InCider.

Another Australian writer that is good for home brewers is Laurie Strachan.

Personally I can't speak highly enough of Laurie's guide to homebrewing.
I really liked the way he covers kits, extracts and all grain, as well as hops, yeast etc
I recommend this book for all homebrewers starting out. It is a great resource for producing quality beers whatever your level of brewing.

Vlad the Pale Aler - good reference, I hadn't read or heard of that Beer-ginner article. It surprises me that he put that in. He also does smoke lots of cigars but he still does good for beer even though sometimes he may not be right.

Laurie Strachan's book was my first ever beer book too. I wrote to him and a few people in the industry to see how I could become a brewer. Laurie was the only one that replied and suggested University of Ballarat and Brewers Workshop. Both were a good help. I had the honour of having one of my beers with him why he was in Perth and he signed my book. He also started the commercial beer magazine "Best Beer" but unfortunately not enough of us bought it.

Found this in dymocks today and had a quick 2 minute flick through. Would have to actually read to give a real review but in the 2 min flick through I didn't feel like forking out the 30 bucks for it. It looks like a good coffee table book for someone just getting into beer such as a barman or someone new to real beer drinking and/or possibly brewing. It looked like a bit about brewing at the back but didn't read any of it, maybe worth while borrowing from the library and reading once for myself and some others but for the most part i don't think too many advanced beer fanatics will fork out the 30 bucks for it. Maybe those of you amoung us that have 50 dollar notes falling out your pocket everwhere you walk and buy everything related to beer that ever comes on the scene might buy it. More a coffee table book for people that don't already have a book case of brewing books though.
One chapter on all the beers available in aus which is set out like M.Js' coffee table beer books but really he only gives a paragraph on each beer next to a photo of it. Some the actuall beers description is summed up in a couple sentences.

Don't take this as a real review as i said I just briefly glanced at it for a few seconds really, I do like reading all willie simpsons articles and i'am sure it would be a good read.

Anyway its out there people have a look and if you don't already have any coffee table beer drinkers books then you proberly might love it.

boozed, broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Laurie Strachan's magazines and books are very concise and clear. For a beginner they really do help you get started and are a fantastic reference latter on.

The late Dave Line's books have good information, when you have brewed for a little while but some of the equipment is slightly dated. (Obviously as he can't update the book.) He is definitely the funniest beer writer I've read.

picked up a copy the other day. pretty thin for $30, but i thought "what the heck". its got quite a few brews in it that i dont have access to so why not. and another $ not going to the macros!
havent had a good look yet, but what i have seen looks pretty interesting. probably not something most serious homebrewers will learn from, but more for entertainment than education.
joe

Looked at it,
The title itself it a rather superlative one, as its content is hardly expansive. I thought it was interesting that he lists breweries that have not yet been opened, and as faras Iknow, at least one that has not even been built...

A fairly poor cash in on the emerging beer industry, but I thought he woudl have released it early december for the "hard to buy for gift market"

Bunch of (edited) Spesh

I believe Australians knows lot about beer making and those who are hooked in making their own, take great pride in it.
The regular mega swillers who drink it just for the enjoyment does not giva an iota about mouthfeel hop balance and etc etc.
Not even worth trying to take up the topic

Woeful website....
I am sorry, But the Americans got it over the aussies in worthy brewing books.

Its a bit like golf
You can read about slicing it or you can actually have ago yourself.
Then you find out how much there really is to know.
"The Book Critic"

Matti

The local library will buy it <_< if you know the right people :p .
Ours is a good one.

Apparently Willie Simpson was on Sunrise this morning promoting his book.

He was also advocating that the palette is like a muscle and must be exercised.....

Gold! :lol:

Brent

Apparently Willie Simpson was on Sunrise this morning promoting his book.

He was also advocating that the palette is like a muscle and must be exercised.....

Gold! :lol:

Brent

Just like the muscle further south... Use it or lose it. :lol: :lol:

Warren -

Back