Bbq/uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oblomov

Reaction score
I'm moving the UK. I arrived here a bit over 4 years ago with 2 suitcases and am now going back with 48 cubic meters furniture&stuff and 2 kids (that's a 40ft container even if you ship the kids seperately by air).

Apart from the weather, does it make sense for me to spend a few $100 on a new BBQ here and put it into the container? Will I be able to get gas bottles in the UK that are suited to Australian connections? I also have a burner for my boils, same gas bottle, same question.

Thanks!

O, I'm not a brit, so don't take the word 'back' literally.

Some people just take photographs ;)

A quick google search indicates that the gas bottle scam is the same all over the world. This supplier in the UK could help you out http://www.camping-gas.com/index.asp . Plenty of BBQs available in the UK in any case it would appear.

cheers

Grant

The great UK BBQ in all its glory!

S7300523.JPG

i'll have to repeat what westozbrew said, with the price of meat in England a BBQ might be rendered virtually useless, you might only use it once or twice a year

haha. Westozbrew's right on the money there.

While sharing a new flat in fulham in '00, we found in the courtyard an old round rusty wood/coalfire bbq. 2 hours of hard scouring with the steel wool, and she served us proudly during the english summer, cooking chicken & vege kebabs. But I do remember 2 steaks sizzling on the grill one day.... This was in the height of mad cow disease scare.

We used one of those UK disposable BBQs like that pictured above. It was from Sainsburys but had no little stand like that one.
Did you know concrete can melt?

We put a small black hole in the balcony of our flat.
You can pick bbqs up fairly cheap there.
We bought one when we lived in a place with a 'yard'. I can't remember the price but between the household it wasn't much.

Apart from the weather, does it make sense for me to spend a few $100 on a new BBQ here and put it into the container? Will I be able to get gas bottles in the UK that are suited to Australian connections? I also have a burner for my boils, same gas bottle, same question.

Thanks!

Be prepared to be ridiculed by the locals for 'grilling' rather than 'BBQ-ing' if you use a gas BBQ. They seem to have the strange idea that only things that cook over charcoal are worthy of being called a BBQ.

That said, whilst charcoal BBQ's are nice, they're a right pain in the ass - taking hours to get ready, messy, and temperamental.

If you have your heart set on a schmick gas barbie from here and have the space, go for it. :beer:

I picked up a coal BBQ when i was there (2004-06) for less than 20 quid. Cheap and easy to use.

I must admit that i do love a coal fired bbq but it does require some patience.

If i planned on cooking on one i would ring all the mates up to come over and make use of the heat since its hot enough to cook on for more than an hour.

Bugger the gas bbq, buy yourself a few good quality umbrellas. You'll need them!

:lol:

I'm from one country over (Holland), charcoal bbq territory as well. I like gas. A quick check on-line gives me the impression that a decent size gas (4 burner, grill, plate, hood) bbq is twice the price up there. I'm a bit worried that somehow pommie gas is slightly different than Aussie gas, or that the connections don't quite fit, etc..

i'll have to repeat what westozbrew said, with the price of meat in England a BBQ might be rendered virtually useless, you might only use it once or twice a year

Actually (I'm a naturalised Pom and go back now and again) the price of meat in the UK is:

1. Go to supermarkets such as Sainsbury's or ASDA and the price of meat is horrendous. Locals only buy meat there as a 'convenience store' item if they are running late.

2. Go to the old centuries old local markets such as the Barnsley Market in Yorkshire or the Grainger Markets in Newcastle (we are talking about markets that were going when Capt. Cook was a lad) and you can find perfectly good meat for about Aussie prices. Last visit to Barnsley I bought fresh silverside roast for equivalent of $AUD 8.00 a kilo. No doubt similar deals in the South of the country.

With the premium cuts, if you could get meat like that in Australia you would willingly pay anything. If Angus Steak House restaurants set up here and imported just UK beef for their tables we would be queuing ten deep at the counter waving our wallets :lol: :lol:

2. Go to the old centuries old local markets such as the Barnsley Market in Yorkshire or the Grainger Markets in Newcastle (we are talking about markets that were going when Capt. Cook was a lad) and you can find perfectly good meat for about Aussie prices. Last visit to Barnsley I bought fresh silverside roast for equivalent of $AUD 8.00 a kilo. No doubt similar deals in the South of the country.

With the premium cuts, if you could get meat like that in Australia you would willingly pay anything. If Angus Steak House restaurants set up here and imported just UK beef for their tables we would be queuing ten deep at the counter waving our wallets :lol: :lol:

I agree.
When I was in the UK ,visiting the in- laws, the meat available in the Grainger Market in Newcastle was far better than you get in butcher shops here and

was not over the top expensive.

Graeme

OK, I'm now in the UK. Bournemouth to be precise. Palm trees all around, must be either global warming or genetic engineering, or maybe they replace 'm all each spring time (July).

Anyway, I want to start-up my brewing again and shipped all my Australian all-grain gear. Few questions about gas bottles:
- do I need butane or propane?
- regulators seem to come in 20 mm or 21 mm? Any idea what the standard Aussie one is?

Thanks!

they have an I'm Angus steakhouse in Sydney now too. When I was staying in Paddington in the UK, I paid the equivalent of $50 for a steak and chips there!

they have an I'm Angus steakhouse in Sydney now too. When I was staying in Paddington in the UK, I paid the equivalent of $50 for a steak and chips there!

Did you try out Gaucho Grill?? Man that was fantastic steak, but damn expensive. 20quid isn't all that much for a really good steak though considering the price of other meals.

Gaucho Grill was fantastic, until he had a blue with his landlord and decided to give it away after 24 years.... Gauchos in Adelaide is another great Argentinian Steak style restaurant. Try the leg of Goat if you're hungry ;)

Anyway, I want to start-up my brewing again and shipped all my Australian all-grain gear. Few questions about gas bottles:
- do I need butane or propane?
- regulators seem to come in 20 mm or 21 mm? Any idea what the standard Aussie one is?

Thanks!

Good question. It does not sound like butane or propane is LPG. Get one of your Irish mates to fire up the burner first, and if it does not go bang and still gets hot I guess it would ne ok.
Sounds sus to me. Get it checked out.
I lived in Ealing West London during the mad cow years 89-91 and ate more steak over there than I ever did here.

Steve

Steve

Don't know about gas in the UK but, if you are all grain brewing and if you are going to shell out tens of pounds on bottles, any thoughts about getting a BruHeat electric boiler instead for about sixty quid? Five gallon capacity. And when you pay a visit home please bring me two in your hand luggage :lol: :lol:

I did the exact same thing as you, and brought my BruHeat to Australia many years ago. It eventually went to God but was very robust for a number of years.

http://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalog/A...________18.html

Edit: palm trees grow very well in most of Western Pomland where the shores are bathed by the Gulf Stream. They even grow in Western Scotland in places like the Isle of Skye which is amazing.

palms.JPG

LPG is usually Propane... Propane will work ;)

Back