Bbe Date On A Hefewiezen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
Evenin Brewers,
I've just purchased a six pack of Snowy Mountains Brewery Charlotte's Hefeweizen and into my 3rd one. The only other Hefeweizen I've tried is the Moo Brew one and I found that to be delicious. This one however is nothing in comparison and has a slight off flavour which appears to be increasing as I progress through the sixpack. I looked at the use-by date and it reads BBE 19/10/09, never seen a BBE before, what's this about? Is it nearly off? All the yeast appears to be out of suspension and stuck to the bottom of the stubbie, the beer is clear and hasn't any head retention. Anyone tried the beer before?
Cheers.

Evenin Brewers,
I've just purchased a six pack of Snowy Mountains Brewery Charlotte's Hefeweizen and into my 3rd one. The only other Hefeweizen I've tried is the Moo Brew one and I found that to be delicious. This one however is nothing in comparison and has a slight off flavour which appears to be increasing as I progress through the sixpack. I looked at the use-by date and it reads BBE 19/10/09, never seen a BBE before, what's this about? Is it nearly off? All the yeast appears to be out of suspension and stuck to the bottom of the stubbie, the beer is clear and hasn't any head retention. Anyone tried the beer before?
Cheers.

Take your pick http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Best+Before+End

but sounds like its passed its best.

cheers

grant

Evenin Brewers,
Cheers.

It's actually passed it's used by date, it went off in October...
Personally if you only just bought it, as in sometime after that date, and it wasn't on special and marked as past date, I'd ask for a refund.
Especially as it's a hefe and they should be drunk as fresh as possible.

We had a hefewiezen night once where one of the guys bought back a few bottles straight from Munich. A side by side test of the same beer purchased here, even when the best before date was sometimes only 3 months different, was amazing. The fresher ones had so much more flavour.

Don't let them try and tell you beer doesn't go off either. If something is marked with a best before and sold after that date but not signed as such you can get your money back...

Had to make a second trip back when the boss was there but he was pleased to give me a refund and couldn't give me the dough and get me out of the shop quick enough. I advised him to check his stock and he said he would be reducing them. He also reckons he had some Grolsch's that were still OK 6 months after their dates had passed. I told him wheat beers go stale quicker and it was dependant on the style of the beer. He said OK. Thanks I said.
Cheers to ya's

Had to make a second trip back when the boss was there but he was pleased to give me a refund and couldn't give me the dough and get me out of the shop quick enough. I advised him to check his stock and he said he would be reducing them. He also reckons he had some Grolsch's that were still OK 6 months after their dates had passed. I told him wheat beers go stale quicker and it was dependant on the style of the beer. He said OK. Thanks I said.
Cheers to ya's

Grolsch might be OK that old but they wouldn't be anywhere near as nice.
I've purchased some beers at a discount even though they were out of date knowing that it wasn't so important, belgians and the like.
The main thing is that stores shouldn't get away with making a practice of selling them out of date, particularly if they don't make it clear.

From memory Snowy Mountains isn't a bad hefe, when fresh, but not one of the greats.

They have 7 cases of this at my work, all past the date in august. Still in the fridge for sale. Even saw a few had been drunk when last I was in there. I left a note two weeks ago for the Food and Beverage supervisor, but it seems to have just been ignored. It makes me angry every time I see them in the fridge.

It is doing both the customer a disservice by providing them with bad tasting beer and SMB a disservice by selling the beer past its best. And I have tried one of them, it was foul. I had three mouthfuls and ditched the rest. Felt bad about it at the time but there was nothing I could do. The out of date pilsner was still alright though (my work is shit at rotating stock. I pointed out 4 yo Tooheys Old's a couple of months ago. 2 cases of them...)

I just received a reply from Snowy Mountains Brewery regarding the BBE date.

"I believe BBE stands for best before expiration? We have 9 months shelf life on that beer but it doesnt go off like a bomb on the date. I have 2 year old beer and it tasted just fine. If it tastes good then the retailer has stored it correctly which can be a rare thing."

I also asked about the the yeast used to brew this beer and received the following comment

"As to the yeast... brewers secret! ;) I can tell you its a blend of two. 3056 will do fine for homebrew. Just depends how much banana and bubble gum you are looking for."

I was planning on culturing up the yeast but when I found it was out of date and didn't taste that good I never bothered, perhaps I should of.

Back