batch sizes in pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave81

Reaction score
Hello

I am about to purchase some new pots and was wondering if i need to go 55l or 70l for a 4v herms setup.I would like to do double batches say 46l. i would like to be able to fill 2 cornelius kegs and and some 750ml bottles(say 3-4 ish). i was thinking 55l pots may do it but am not sure .

Also i know welded fittings are the best way if possible but does anyone have any issues with weldless fittings(if drilled to correct size of course)?

Edit.any issues doing single batches in your recommended pot size?

Cheers

Dave

My rig is a 3V RIMS, 40l HLT 57l MT and 70l BK. Can get 45l batch without too much trouble, sometimes wish the kettle was a little bigger. All weldless fittings too.

I am also in the progress of building a new rig Dave. My current plan is to have a 70lt Hlt, 50lt Mashtun and a 70lt boil kettle to be able to comfortably do double batches.

The price difference between the 2 sizes is fairly minimal.

EDIT: I haven't had any trouble in the past with correctly fitted weldless fittings and will be using these again.

keifer33 said:
I am also in the progress of building a new rig Dave. My current plan is to have a 70lt Hlt, 50lt Mashtun and a 70lt boil kettle to be able to comfortably do double batches.
The price difference between the 2 sizes is fairly minimal.
EDIT: I haven't had any trouble in the past with correctly fitted weldless fittings and will be using these again.
Would there be any issues in doing a single batch with that setup?

I am trying to design it with single batches in mind also. Haven't decided the specifics yet but thinking I will more than likely go with a 2400w element in the hlt and 2x2400w in the kettle to allow me the option to go for one element in the boil when doing a single batch.

Sounds like a good plan.i will be doing a 2.4kw element in the hlt also but using gas for the boil kettle (plan to get strike water/sparge water to temp in the bk and maintain temp with the elment, will just have to get the element put as low as possible in the hlt)
Thanks for the replys im gonna order finally ; )

Yeah will do im like a fat kid in a candy store I I will pick up my pots tomorrow lunch .I should move this to another thread I think

Back