Batch 5 Is A Dud.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
I know I am impatient but after only 9 days in the bottl and 10 days in the fermenter, this batch aint so good. It's Coopers Pale Ale with BE2 added. I know it's still a bit green, but doesn't taste so good. I have some put away to taste in a few weeks, thats the beauty of brewing so much. BUT my next batch to drink was only bottled on the 19th. It tastes ok after the 8th or 9th beer LOL. This is why I have so many brews going. So I can start leaving them for long enough in the bottle. Carbination is good, just smells a bit off and tastes way to "green". Oh well, "such is life". Just thought I would share how I am going.

OK, well 14 beers in and it don't taste too bad. I think I might be getting drunk finally too!!!!

Are you labelling each batch? Eg, a number on each bottle cap?

Also are you just using the one base recipe?
If so you could try little variations between each batch, eg, use malt in one, throw a hop teabag in another, try steeping some cracked grain, try a different yeast.

The possibilities are endless.

Well I just cracked my first stubby of Tooheys Draught....... I can honestly say it's not bad at all!!!! I fermented it for 5 days at 24 and bottled for 11 days today. It's clean, crisp and nice to drink. WAY better than my first batch which was Tooheys New. I just used the ingedients that came with the brew kit and I am pretty happy.

so whats the difference from what you did here, which was a success?

All that extra malt - I'm assuming that there is going to be more green flavour as your secondary fermentation and carbonation will be in the bottle. The more malt you use, the longer it is going to take for it to come good - in my experience way back when of being a K&B brewer.

I'd progress onto unhopped extract and start playing with hop additions for the boil - it will make a huge difference to your beers.

Goomba

Yes, I do number each batch. I think the brew just needs more time in the bottle. The difference between my batches is that this is Coopers Pale Ale and the other on was Tooheys Draught. I am trying different things, I don't have the same brew in any of my fermenters.

Could it be that you don't like the style. You've told us you like tooheys new, have you tried and did you like coopers pale or sparkling ale from the pub/bottle-o?

I would be leaving them for 3 weeks minimum in the bottle. I wouldn't expect any beer to taste half decent before then.

Still trying to get my stocks up so I can do just that. Just bottled batch number 8.

Just splash out and buy some beer while you wait. You can keep the bottles for the beer you are fermenting.

Thinking I might have to buy a couple of cartons over the next week. Batch 5 is almost gone and Batch 6 was only bottled on the 19th :( I do have a couple of tallies from all the previous batches but I am going to leave them until they have been in the bottle for at least a month. I keep 2 tallies out of every batch now so I can try them in good time ;)

Buy a few beers you might like to brew but never tasted before.
There's a whole world of beers out there just waiting for you to explore.
You never know you might like them and end up trying to brew a clone.

Back