Basics Of Making And Using A Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never worried about cell count estimates but I should. I would follow Mr B's advice but since you are doing a lager it wont hurt to over pitched a bit. What ever quantities the calculator gives you, add a bit more slurry. Use boiled and cooled water to wash your yeast. Making a good lager is very satisfying.

My 2c.

cheers nosco.

Ok, here's a screen print from the inputs I've put into Brewer's Friend.

If I'm reading it right it's saying there is a great enough cell count in the slurry, so I won't need a starter?

see attached.

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 10.55.48 PM.png

I dont think you do need a starter. Plenty of yeast in the slurry plus the washing is a extra step. There will be a bit of dead yeast but fresh yeast from a slurry should have tonnes of healthy cells in there. Always be a sanitary as you can but especially when making a lager. I use a large stainless steel soup ladle that I have washed and then sanitised to scoop out some yeast. about 1 cup is heaps for an ale. 2 and bit for a lager to be safe (dont quote me on that).

Works for me but see what other say (discalaimer :D )

Edit: if you want to save some extra yeast then do a yeast rinse but its a lot of work in my book. I prefer to save 1/3rd of my first starter and then keep that to make more starters.

Alot of people say that yeast gets better with every brew that its re used in. Until about 5 or 6 brews then it starts to mutate and the taste is affected. If you are more organized than me then you can plan your brew around it. ie start with a pilsner then use the yeast from that in a bo pils or a helles and then a dunkel, etc. Youd only have to buy one lot of yeast for say 5 brews.

I harvest yeast from starters rather than fermenter trub so my process and calcs are a bit different. I've been reusing a 2001 smack pack since April of 2015 and still haven't produced a shit batch with it. Fucked if I know how many generations it's up to. I can't even believe it myself.

From that graphic it looks as though you only need to harvest about a third to half of the yeast cake. Overpitching by that much isn't ideal, even in a lager.

In any case, it doesn't look like you'll need a starter if pitching quite soon after harvesting.

Cheers Norco and Rocker.

Norco, your talking about ladling yeast out of your fermenter after you've moved the beer out? So I guess, you'd have a mix of yeast and trub then, that you'd pitch in your next brew.

I hadn't thought of saving a third of the original liquid yeast. Do you buy/use anything more special then say a sanitised jam jar when you're separating some of the original yeast?

I was def planning on using this slurry/yeast for 3 brews at the most, maybe I'll do a 4th with it.

Yes, similar to do I'd like do up to 22 litres at the most for me.

I make my starters too big and harvest the excess into a mason jar. It sits in the fridge until the next time I use that strain, and the process is repeated. I have three strains that I rotate between batches. I don't save a third of the original smack pack or whatever though. The third I was referring to was from the yeast cake in the fermenter after the beer is removed from it.

Yep what Rocker said. The Ball mason jars are 1oz i think and also mls. After the starter is finished i let the yeast settle and then tip of the excess liquid until i have 1lt left. Give it a swirl and then fill the jar to 300ml. The rest goes in the beer.

My mason jars are about 800ml, and I don't tip off any excess "beer" before harvesting. I do let it ferment out, but then I just stir the whole lot up and tip 800ml into the jar. The jar goes into the "storage" fridge, which is just a normal food fridge, while the flask goes into either the brew fridge or the kegerator if there's room, for a day or two, and then the "beer" is decanted off and the yeast cake is swirled up and pitched.

Quick question. Made a 3ltr starter for some wlp hazy over the weekend, 300g ldme, fermentation did not seem very vigorous and appeared done after about 18 hours. I left it another 12 and the cold crashed. When I went to decant off the top there was no yeast cake to be seen, the yeast was down the bottom but very slurry like, so much so I only decanted a third off the top for fear of losing yeast. Not sure if I have not given it enough to feed on of if it’s just the way this strain behaves. Tasted the starter and it’s nice and banannery. This is going into a 50ltr batch tonight, should I be worried? Or should I drop a pack of us05 in as well? Or ditch the wlp and just go 2 packs us05?
Appreciate any advise u might have
Red

^^ pitches it last night anyways, bit warmer than I wanted at about 25 but it was bed time and wouldn’t take long to cool down in fridge, it was absolutely smashing away this morning, about 1-2 inch krausen. Can only assume it’s just the way this yeast acts.

I wouldn't have seen any reason to ditch it anyway. If you're unsure if a starter is fermenting, you could always pull a hydrometer sample.

As a "hazy" strain its very possible that it stays in suspension hence minimal floculation. Good practice to allow a full 48hrs before cold crash (first 24hr on stir plate even better).

How's the brew tasting @theredone ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back