Basic Aussie Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW Superprides ( POR) is a great hop , kind of going down the American style hop intensity.
It has a fantastic aroma and probably my choice over standard POR. Unfortunate they don't do it in flowers .
Nev

If you love POR so much, do a 10 minute AusPA with it. :icon_cheers:

If you love POR so much, do a 10 minute AusPA with it. :icon_cheers:
I have done many brews with these hops and we are developing an Aussie IPA based on POR and Cluster.
Trials have proved very good particularly at higher gravities. There are a few tricks learn on the way.
Nev

ive been doing alot of reading about brewing a cpa and somewhere on this site i read that coopers brew there pa to a low gravity 1.006 - 1.008 now how do you go about brewing to such a low gravity

ive been doing alot of reading about brewing a cpa and somewhere on this site i read that coopers brew there pa to a low gravity 1.006 - 1.008 now how do you go about brewing to such a low gravity

Finishing gravity that'd be.

The usual story is that it's got some sugar in it, but if it is all malt, then keeping the mash temps low, doing a step mash and using a yeast that finishes low is the usual way... the coopers yeast is pretty attenuative

I have done many brews with these hops and we are developing an Aussie IPA based on POR and Cluster.
Trials have proved very good particularly at higher gravities. There are a few tricks learn on the way.
Nev

I found the trick to using POR is to not use it late unless you want a beer to taste like a forestry worker's armpit. :D

POR early Cluster late, a very good combo.

Yes, it is.

But I still hear the "Oh, the flowers are great when they're fresh" bullshit. If they're so great make a 10 minute IPA with a huge whack of POR flowers.

Yes, it is.

But I still hear the "Oh, the flowers are great when they're fresh" bullshit. If they're so great make a 10 minute IPA with a huge whack of POR flowers.
Dont know abou flowers but late por r great.

This recipe is great. DrSmurtos Pride of Mt Torrens. He uses fresh homegrown flowers. I use pellets

2.15 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 48.97 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 22.78 %
1.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 22.78 %
0.24 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (170.0 EBC) Grain 5.47 %
8.00 gm Magnum [15.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
30.00 gm Pride of Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (15 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
40.00 gm Pride of Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
5.00 gm CaCO3
5.00 gm NaCl
10.00 gm CaSO4
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

20L
OG 1.046
IBU 32
EBC 18

Why is an ingredient bad if you have to use it in a particular way?

If you drown something in sesame oil or cook with it as a base, it's horrible. Doesn't make the ingredient itself shit. Use your ingredients in the right way to get the best out of them. Is beef stock no good because it makes my chicken soup taste brown and meaty?

PoR is no different to any other hop - some high aa hops too early give harsh flavours, some hops added as dry hops become grassy etc. I'd never dry hop with saaz again but I wouldn't suggest it's a bad ingredient.

Yes, it is.

You need to try them before you call "Bullshit".
I will send you some if you have the nuggets to use them.
Nev

If you havent tried the POR and Cluster flowers you have missed the true Aussie beer flavour.
Every one who uses POR flowers comments on how great they are compared to pellets. Ask jyo, he thought POR sucked till he used the flowers.
If you are interested check my site.
Nev

For sure. I had only ever used POR pellets and thought that was as good as it gets. It was definitely off my list.

I'll give Nev's flowers a big plug. They are sensational.

Bullshit I already have heaps of POR flowers. :lol:
Nev

But I was going to send you some awesome superduper POR (that I also happen to sell)! Only thing is it's soooooo nice, you can only use it early in the boil.

You have to use Cluster late. Or the beer will taste like an Aussie Lager with a cigarette stubbed out in it.

It's that great. For bittering. :D

Latest posts

Back