Basic Ag With Pics For Noobs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all mr_tyreman, great post! Am I right in assuming that the brew size are 23 litre batches?

You don't drain off your first runnings?

Batz

Batz,

Are there advantages in draining off the first runnings as oppose to adding the first lot of sparge water in the mash tun or is it just a preference thing?

Cheers,
Jase

First of all mr_tyreman, great post! Am I right in assuming that the brew size are 23 litre batches?

Batz,

Are there advantages in draining off the first runnings as oppose to adding the first lot of sparge water in the mash tun or is it just a preference thing?

Cheers,
Jase

I thought everyone drained off the first runnings then poured in their sparge water, stir, let sit for 10 mins (optional) and drain off the 2nd runnings? Thats what I do. Also mr-tyreman, when pouring the runnings back into the esky put a plastic lid on top of the grain and pour the water onto that. Disperses it better and doesnt unsettle the grain too much. Definately something wrong with the burner too. Nice pics.
Cheers
Steve

I thought the point was to take the first runnings away as this has most of the fermentable goodness, then sparge with same amount of water in order to "rinse" the grains and get a bit more fermentables. Adding the sparge water on top wouldn't have the same affect and you'd end up with a lower efficiency?

i drain the first running in one lot but a with step mash, then refill the mash tun and run off the sparge to rinse the grains.

if that makes sense :)

how long does it take to boil up with a flame like that mate? Surely it can crank better than that?

still extremely quick....gets up to 78 degrees before i can unload the equiptment.....and gets the wort to boil in approx 8 mins.

I still havent figured out what do to do with that burner.... im going to have a play this w/e....coz im not brewing. Got way too much beer laying around here, gotta concentrate on drinking some of it :)

gotta free up some fermentors and kegs.

I look forward to your findings Mr_Tyreman as i am also looking at getting this burner but was slighty worried about the burn and black pot. It seems like some have them working really well and some have issues.

goodluck

yeah no prob Gout, theres 2 different nozzles on the burner that aren't burner jets, i will suss what they do....

ad a play with the burner today...couln't get it to burn any better....but heres some pics of it running just on its own...what do you reckon?

gallery_10325_462_19808.jpg

med_gallery_10325_462_16328.jpg

Yeee haaawwww!! MrT
"Honey where's me mashmellows?"
Now there is at least 2" of blue goodness there and I'm in love MrT :wub: ...

Cheers
Chappo

nothing has changed, thats how it burns...it just doesn't look like it when theres a keg on top of her

They make the mongolians in 2 flavours, NG and LPG, maybe its an NG?

that's as far as my knowledge on burners goes. :p

[edit] i just noticed that was already suggested, also G&G suggests using a low pressure reg with them /shrug

gallery_10325_462_17038.jpg

That ring at the bottom of your keg is choking your burner...
Get a 20-25mm hole saw and cut 6 holes at even distances in the bottom ring to let the burnt gas out...
with that burner i would possibly double the number of holes to 12...

Sqyre... ;)

gallery_10325_462_17038.jpg

That ring at the bottom of your keg is choking your burner...
Get a 20-25mm hole saw and cut 6 holes at even distances in the bottom ring to let the burnt gas out...
with that burner i would possibly double the number of holes to 12...

Sqyre... ;)

Hottest part of a flame is the tip, I would drop the burner down a bit, it's too close.

Screwy

Good call Screwy and Sqyre it's choking. Not enough air is getting to it to allow it to breathe.

Chappo
yeh your right it is a mixture problem but it's not from the ring in the bottom of the keg (although that will do it) but look at the photo where it is burning by itself. i have one of these also and it burns perfectly blue and clean.

yeh your right it is a mixture problem but it's not from the ring in the bottom of the keg (although that will do it) but look at the photo where it is burning by itself. i have one of these also and it burns perfectly blue and clean.

+1 Cloudy

By the photo's it's sitting right on top of the burners without any free space, yeah?

Chappo

Back