Barry Cranston's Foreign Extra Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Hey Barry,

I just noticed your FES recipe on the Craftbrewers website. My most recent stout was very similar to yours, but lighter in aclohol and without the flaked barley and the brown malt. Although my stout tastes fantastic and has a great roasted malt character, it is missing a level of "complexity" that I was hoping for. Can you tell me what character the brown malt and flaked barley give to your stout?

Also, does anyone know if you can make brown malt by just roasting pale or amber malt in the oven?

Cheers - Snow

Snow, if you look on the Craftbrewers website you can
see Graham's method for making all sorts of specialty
malts, including brown malt.

It is under "Materials & Methods"

Good Day Snow
Sorry to take so long to get back to you, been working.
It is a bit hard to tell you about the contribution of flaked barley because I use it in all stouts. It is suppose to add a smoothness/fullness, a grainy flavour and aids head retention. A few kit stouts I have had the opportunity to drink usually taste thinner to me and it might be due to the lack of flaked barley.
The brown malt adds toasty, dry light coffee flavours. I find it a bit harsh in lighter ales but it is nice in stouts and porters. Amber malt can be used instead, it is just a lighter version of brown malt as far as colour and flavour are concerned, it might be better.
Hope this helps.
All the best, Barry.

Thanks Brad and Barry. Good info.

Cheers - Snow

Latest posts

Back