Barley Crusher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Reaction score
Just got my Barley Crusher delivered to my front door from the USA the other day,and i would like to know do i need to adjust the roller spacing that are preset at .039 thousands of an inch for a good crush.Would appericate feed back from anyone who owns a Barley Crusher.

I have been using mine on the standard setting with no adjustment and seems to give a good crush. Works out to about .99mm wich is pretty close to correct setting, maybe just over.

I've slightly narrowed the gap of my factory set Barley crusher, and so far have noticed around 3-5% improvemnet in my pre boil (mash tun) efficiency. Whether or not you would get the same difference would possibly depend on what barley you are crushing. Most of the Barley I'm crushing is is sourced from a friend of my Brother who works in the industry, with specialty malts from both Bairds and Weyermann finishing off the brews. What I'd do if I were you, is do several batches of your favourite brews, and then adjust you gap setting to see what difference it makes for YOU. I'd advise against adjusting it willy nilly without first having tried using the factory setting at least for a couple of batches to see how it goes.

Cheers :)

Hey BeerBelly

I've had my BC for three months and have been using the factory setting with both Joe White and specialty grains. Getting constant efficiency into the boiler of 85%. Have used both the drill and manual hand power to do the crush. I think the manual way gives a better crush due to its slower methodical speed. Do a number of brews on the factory setting before you go messing with it and I'm sure you will come to the best solution.

Cheers, Hoges.

What I'd do if I were you, is do several batches of your favourite brews, and then adjust you gap setting to see what difference it makes for YOU.

Good point Stoodoo. I have played around with mine and have crushed from the factory settings to the finest settings. I have found different malts tend to crush a little differently at a finer setting, for instance, Bairds MO just flies through, while Joe White Ale and even Weyermann Bo Pils need to have some assistance. Maybe some malt guru could shed some light on this.

Also, when you pour the grain into the hopper, have a bowl underneath the rollers as I find at least 10 - 20 whole grains pass through somehow before the crushing begins.

i use default setting but i do run through twice

Stuster had his set to 0.8mm and i was getting good results on the couple of crushes i did on his crusher. Now that i have my own it's set to 0.83mm just to back it off a little bit, but still get good efficiency. No problems with cloudy runoff with the finer setting though.

Thanks guys, i plan to do a mash this weekend using Wyermans Pilsener Malt and Wheat Malt.Instructions also say the first time you use the mill to run some grain thru first and discard the grain.Must be to clean the mill i suppose? Anyway thanks again for your feedback .

I too use the factory settings and run it thru twice. Crushing twice has improved efficiency from low 60's to 79%. I mainly use JW grain
Chris

Latest posts

Back