Barkeepers Friend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never needed to passivate a weld, so can't comment on that.
However, it's made from the same stuff (Oxalic acid - and some Citric Acid) as Bar Keepers Friend and picture-proof of it cleaning minor surface rust/pitting from stainless can be found on my blog here - if you really need it - I can take a picture of the same keg several brews later showing that it's still passivated. I also easily cleaned the deeper/older/more pitted years-old-rust from the exterior of the kegs (where they had been scrached, bashed and dented) with it, but did not bother taking photos.

It's the acids that perform the cleaning/passivating, not something magic in Bar Keepers Friend - which is why (commercial type breweries) rinse stainless equipment with an acid wash (5 Star make 6 acid wash/rince products) - especially after cleaning with caustic-type-products, and home brewers can use something like Saniclean (Phosphoric acid).

Thanks for your reply Wolfy.

I don't think extra photo's are necessary as I'm happy to take your word for it. I priced some pickling paste from a welding supplies place and it was $50 for a 1 kilo tub. I was hoping to get out of it a bit cheaper and it seems it might be possible.

In a past life the stainless blokes at work used to use pickling paste on welds that I think was a mix of oxalic and hydroflouric acid. They could scrub it with a scouring pad (I think) and wash off in about 10 minutes, so hopefully if I'm patient I can get away with the bar keepers friend or similar.

On this one, does anyone know what's best. The powdered stuff or the liquid? Got a little rust forming in the bottom of my keggle and seems this is the easiest way to fix her up. And If it happens again I'll have some handy.

Not sure. I got powdered and put it on a sponge and add a touch of water to make a paste...
Found it at House in Parramatta Westfield.

razz said:
I just got an email from the Aussie distributor to say that BKF is now available in Coles stores.
Yep saw it on the weekend. $7-8 for 340(?)g.

Latest posts

Back