Barfridge As A Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey

I have been trying to search for this but cannot find anything on it. Maybe its because barfridges are just too small to fit a fermenter into it?

Anways, i was looking on the tradingpost for a cheap fridge which i could use as a fermenter, and found 2 barfridges for sale for cheapish near me. I would also be buying a fridgemate, but was wondering if they can be used on such small fridges?

I can't think of any reasons why they wouldn't, but it's in my best interest to ask questions before spending any money on something of no use.

Fingers crossed the fermenter will fit in it. Im a little worried about that...

Knowing me, ill be pulling out a bit more cash and having to buy a bigger fridge.

Cheers, Sponge

Sponge,
I have a bar fridge here that i use on occasion as a fermentation fridge with a mashmaster fridgemate controller.the trick is to find a fermenter that will fit ok into your barfridge, out of the 8 fermenters I own only 3 fit inside it.
I suggest getting a 25 litre fermenter from bunnings warehouse as there pretty cheap at around $15 and nice and compact in size.

Cheers
Franko

Or the 20-25l jerry can type. I can fit three of them in the fridge now, an you may be able to get two in a bar fridge. You can get these at Bunnings or Kmart/Camping stores.

Cheers,

InCider.

I've just fermented my two first pilsners using 18L kegs as fermenters because my other fermenters wouldn't fit.

I use one, the more tall version work well (ie.. not the squat fermenters).

Cheers -Mike

Or the 20-25l jerry can type. I can fit three of them in the fridge now, an you may be able to get two in a bar fridge. You can get these at Bunnings or Kmart/Camping stores.

Cheers,

InCider.

Yup just don't buy the ones from BigW, the threading on them tends to be spurred and even after filing down you'll need some plumbers tape to seal the lid.

Back on topic, I bought one of the Dome wine coolers from Target the other day for $130, did some test runs on and it was holding the temperature nicely, although I'd recommend insulating the front window.

I cut the top off the airlock and got 2 cms more ,

also help getting it in and out

Sponge

You'll need at least a 140 or 150l fridge to fit a fermenter in.
The other issue is the the internal shape. Look for one with a flat floor not one that steps up to the back.
And don't forget you can remove the inner lining of the door and pick up some extra space if you need to.

Rob

Hey guys, cheers for the responses

Yea Rob, theres a westinghouse 140L and a Kelvinator 140L, and id be planning on taking the door shelves out as im pretty sure it would not fit otherwise. It looks like neither of them have that step up so its mainly depth and height which im worried about

The coopers fermenters seem pretty stocky, so I might have to check out kmart/bigw/bunnings today at some stage and see if I can find any fermenters in there.

Sorry for the HiJack.

Can you use chest freezers to fement in at the 18 degree mark using a fridge mate ? without damageing it ? as i would imangine that they are designed to be used allot colder than that.

Thanks guys.

when you guys are talkin about cubes is this the kind of fementer your talking about ?? i always wondered what a cube looked like ???

25litrecontainer.jpg

That's also a question ive been asking myself for a while now. But it seems as though there have been many people who use fridgemates on freezers

I don't know how to add links but heres a thread I've been to a couple of times

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...l=chest+freezer

Edit: How convenient... it gets made into a link automatically.

Touche AHB.... touche....

Latest posts

Back