Banning Glassware In Pubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets Just ban Pubs all together, Easiest Answer to a simple problem

Sounds like an answer to me. I never frequent pubs, so it's all good to go for me.
Or, if that's not feasible, bring back 6 o'clock closing.
Somehow I can't imagine drongoes taking a swing at each other after consuming a vanilla milkshake at midnight.

Next they'll be banning meat raffles at the local due to the fact someone might trip and spear themselves on a chop bone!

A bloke from work won a meat tray at the pub then other day, then later on some dick-wad bashed the poor fella and stole his meat. He'd never seen the person before, just some random, aggressive, carnivourous jerk. :angry:

There was a thing about this again on some shitty current affairs show recently after the mass glassing over the weekend.

Perhaps we should ban cars so pedestrains stop getting hit.

Haven't seen that argument to ban bull bars for a while either - about time some wanker brought that up again while we're at it.

Many nightclubs already serve booze in plastic cups, most likely because people are there to get hammered. The same establishments serve in glassware during the day etc when normal people are there for a few drinks.

Banning glass is not the answer, something else will fill the void for these drunk and violent people to use.

Most places that serve good beer and use correct glassware are the kinds of places these blokes who go around glassing people wouldn't be caught dead in anyway.
So I don't see the problem!

Remember the old saying "Instant dickhead, just add alcohol"? the idiots doing all the violence and glassing have been raised to have no fear of the consequences of anything they do, they just don't care. They know if they end up in front of a Judge, the worst that will happen is they will get a slap on the wrist.

Ok so I'm getting on in years, but when I was a kid in the 60's and early 70's in rural NSW if you screwed up you got a right arse kicking from the local police sergeant, and when your friends and family found out you felt this thing called "shame" :) It was called "anti-social behaviour", and it was YOUR fault if you did it.

Added to this is the agenda of the Police, wanting both more power and resources, a major issue here in the state of political incompetence bordering on corruption, and the hysteria press trying to sell copy by sensationalising all this stuff and you have a real mess. I am fed up with having to see public policy constantly working with the lowest common denominator.

Rather than enforce the law, and maybe jail a few people and take a popularity hit, we see public policy take the easy solution and say prohibit glass in pubs, FFS, most stuff people drink in pubs comes outta glass be it draught beer, wine or mixed spirits, or pre-mix. What ever happened to the idea of people going out to a pub or club and having a fun time?

If I ever go into a bar that serves drinks in plastic before 8-9pm, I'm outta there, we have lost the plot, Cheerz Wabster

Most places that serve good beer and use correct glassware are the kinds of places these blokes who go around glassing people wouldn't be caught dead in anyway.

cheers....

Well what about porcelian plates.... will they soon serve our food on paper plates!

Do you think society has got more violent???

I don't believe it has. In fact I'm sure we are less violent in general than in colonial times.

My pet theory is that society has had about the same level of violence for a long, long time. Probable 100 years or more (wars notwithstanding). I believe the remarkably steady murder rate backs this up.

What has changed is the 'media'.

We are now bombarded with 'news' every waking hour. And what makes 'news'? The shocking. The peverse. The violent.

So the tabloid media and the TV current affairs crowd focus on 'shocking' crimes to sell newspapers and get bums on seats.

They make money by whipping up controversy and scaring the shit out of the punters.

So we get the periodic moral panics.

End of rant.

I disagree with this statement.

A friend of mine was glassed recently at a very good beer lounge in Brisbane by a regular on this forum.

Can I just say that this is the first time I've been on television?

I have 2 display shelves and a cupboard half filled with glasses, steins, tobys jugs and the like and I'm afraid that they will attack me.

I watch them closley but I think I may be missing something.

Thats it. No glass ever attacked anyone.

BAN DICKHEADS NOT GLASSES

Crime was already on the way down before Julianni stepped in... Read a book called freakanomics - it discusses the drop in america's crimwave to be a direct result of legalised abortion.

Maybe we should have forced abortion here in Melbourne?

:ph34r:

yeah I like that book!!

Liked the sumo's and telltale names!! classic! sorta explains why people called crystal or randeen aren't that smart!

maybe they should sell beer in plastic to those people with names that show that they are dumb! and glass for the rest - no more glassing...

Unfortunately some people and alchohol do not mix they change very quickly after a bottle of beer .

In NZ the amount of wife beatings has a direct correlation to when the All Blacks loose at Rugby

There are somethings in life that continue to dissapoint the rest of humanity .

I once had a great friend that I refused to go drinking with as he was a magnet to attracting a fight ,after a beer, it was like associating with Doctor Jekyle and Mr Hyde .

Pumpy :(

Have to agree I was glassed a few years ago after stepping between a guy that hit his missus in a bar ended up getting 15 stiches for the trouble end up the guy was off his tree on drug and been drinking all day just one of those thing wrong place wrong time and drunk idiot. hell of alot of things in a bar or club that people can grab if they want to try to do damage to someone

I once had a great friend that I refused to go drinking with as he was a magnet to attracting a fight ,after a beer, it was like associating with Doctor Jekyle and Mr Hyde .

Pumpy :(

Pumpy,
I can't agree more with this. I too have a mate that I would do anything for, real hard worker and all round great guy, but more than two beers and I dis-own him go to the shitter and do the harold holt. All because you know what was comin' FIGHT NIGHT!

I just simply do not understand these people, I get pissed and laugh me head off at the world.

Jay

In fact I'm sure we are less violent in general than in colonial times.

You've got to be joking mate.
When I started drinking in 1960 a thing like a glassing would have caused national headlines. To drink in a public place was against the law (As it is now) & was almost unheard of. You could leave your doors & windows unlocked night & day throughout the year without worrying about being ripped off or invaded. Murders were far & few between & not on the daily basis that we see them now .
I could go on & on but laugh when you reckon the world is a better & less dangerous than it was when I was a kid.
BTW, colonial times don't really count here. It all boils down to the lack of parental control over the last couple of generations & the kids mimicking their (Lowlife) parents actions.
Rant over. ;)

TP :beer:

Many pubs in the gong have banned glasses

I wasn't aware and went out (which is a rarity for me) and the only decent beer the pub had was coopers pale

I ordered a schooner and then noticed the bar chick was pouring it in plastic :blink:

I said if it's in plastic I don't want it - she gave me a funny look and left it on the bar

We then took off and went off to the Five Islands Brewery - they still use dimple pint glasses :icon_chickcheers:

Yes drinking out of plastic is just not cricket

Many pubs in the gong have banned glasses

I wasn't aware and went out (which is a rarity for me) and the only decent beer the pub had was coopers pale

I ordered a schooner and then noticed the bar chick was pouring it in plastic :blink:

I said if it's in plastic I don't want it - she gave me a funny look and left it on the bar

We then took off and went off to the Five Islands Brewery - they still use dimple pint glasses :icon_chickcheers:

Yes drinking out of plastic is just not cricket

happened after that girl got glassed at, of all places, The Glass House.

is that irony or what? :p

Back