Banana Bread Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucko

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just got back from the UK where i had many fantastic beers.
One has stuck with me and it was a Banana bread Beer from Wells and Youngs. Same mob who do Bombardier Bitter.
It was great. A malty full bodied beer with this banana flavour through it.

Has anyone out there got a recipe for this style beer.
I was thinking maybe a can of Cooper's Aussie Pale ale, light dry malt haven't decided on hops yet, and some how add bananas. Not sure how I was going to add bananas. Thinking I would mash them up and boil for a bit then pour through a strainer.

I was just going to try this method first, then if there was some sort of recipe for a part mash, then try it that way as well.

Any ideas would be great.....

Cheers,
Bucko. :chug:

Dont know if its exactly the same thing but try this thread
[topic="0"]http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33599&hl=banana+beer[/topic]

Dont know if its exactly the same thing but try this thread
[topic="0"]http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33599&hl=banana+beer[/topic]

bbl,

That link is broken.

Bucko,

Don't know about mashing up bananas, but what about some banana flavouring
essence, there must be some available for the "moonshine" mob. :ph34r: Try your
local HBS.

Does this beer go well with ice-cream? <_<

cheers
BB

Ive just done Ross Banana Bread Bitter... I was advised to freeze the banana's then let them thaw and put them into secondary. Im yet to taste the results.

But I trust Ross, every recipe I have used of his are crackers....

Cheers Katie

here is the link

Ive just done Ross Banana Bread Bitter... I was advised to freeze the banana's then let them thaw and put them into secondary. Im yet to taste the results.

But I trust Ross, every recipe I have used of his are crackers....

Cheers Katie

here is the link

Thanks for that.
Katie, did you just chop the Nanas up and drop them into secondary? Stir gently and avoid splashing?

As for the Banana flavour, never thought about that. I'll have to check that out too. Thanks BB.

Cheers all.
Bucko.
:party:

see what banana essence is like by dropleting it into a sample beer you have, stir and taste. That would be my lazy method anyway.

I can envision using bananas would could up secondary quite allot, especially if you puree'd them... might require filtration or a decent crash chill.

Freeze, then defrost put in secondary carefully and stir. Get about 21/2 kilos as when you take the skins off you get about 1 1/2 kilos.

Thanks all.

I'll give the bananas a go just on a extract kit first. Then I might have a go at the mash.
Sounds like a good'n.
Hey Katie hope all goes well, if you do remember at all, I'll love to know how it works out for you.

Happy days,
Bucko.

Thanks all.

I'll give the bananas a go just on a extract kit first. Then I might have a go at the mash.
Sounds like a good'n.
Hey Katie hope all goes well, if you do remember at all, I'll love to know how it works out for you.

Happy days,
Bucko.

As in "here, let me drink that while I stir in all this bloody stock?" :)

Funnily enough, we brewed a double, we did not put banana in ours, our beer was fantastic, Im brewing it again on Sunday. My friend just came and picked up the other half which had the banana. My partner bottled it yesterday and said it tasted fantastic. My friend will let me know we should of stolen a bottle but didnt. He will let me know and hopefully I can try it.

Latest posts

Back