Banana Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive decided to do the Banana bread bitter. Though a little scared at having 19 litres of it on tap. HA!

Thirsty whats happening with your nanna's?

It too damn cold and the bloody thing wont go black... still waiting

While I am waiting I might see if I can pick up some millet and/or corn grits from the local asian and indian stores ... use that instead of wheat/oats. That way it will closer to the original Mbege and also gluten free.

Ended up going with Ross Banana Bread Bitter...

When the recipe says 5 days secondary does that mean 5 days in or 5 days in secondary???

Ended up going with Ross Banana Bread Bitter...

When the recipe says 5 days secondary does that mean 5 days in or 5 days in secondary???

Hi katie , probably both - lol.
Add the banana's once the krausen falls back in primary & ferment for approx 1 more week.

cheers Ross

There's a couple of bunches of ladies finger bananas up the side of the house (stubbornly green ATM) that have a home in secondary, when ever they decide to colour up (prob Nov) :) .

Tasted the BananaBread Bitter (without the banana) I love it, quite malty and a bitter finish. I LOVE the challenger hop!

Katie :icon_cheers:

So I am actually brweing a nano batc of a modified Mbege.

I have a couple of litres of weird banana / cereal gruel mashing atm.

2L batch

1.5L water
250g of millet flour
100g of sorgum flour
100g of maize flour
1 very very ripe banana (it took a bloody month and a bit...) and half a green banana

All blitzed together with a bamix and currently mashing at 32C (for several hours at least, maybe over night)

Then I will do one of those fancy reverse decoction things that you do with gluten free beers to get the starches all properly gelatinised... cool down to 32C again and re-mix the enzyme liquid.

Then a very long slow (read several hours) ramp mash up to 78C and batch sparge through a 100micron filter bag - to give a pre-boil of 2.4L ... 90min boil with 10IBU (2g) of hersbrucker.

I'm guessing a 60% mash efficiency for a gravity of around 1.045

Or - - possibly nothing like that at all

(snip)
Then a very long slow (read several hours) ramp mash up to 78C and batch sparge through a 100micron filter bag - to give a pre-boil of 2.4L ... 90min boil with 10IBU (2g) of hersbrucker.

I'm guessing a 60% mash efficiency for a gravity of around 1.045

Or - - possibly nothing like that at all

:D
Let us know how it goes.

I have a couple of litres of weird banana / cereal gruel mashing atm.

Wow, TB, that's so weird, it makes the sliced square rubber in plastic bags at the supermarket look like bread!

Look forward to hearing how it goes. Hopefully it won't vanish in a puff of logic. Or worse undergo cold fusion and blow up in your face. :unsure:

T.

I tried the banana beer we brewed over a month ago on Saturday, we used close to 2 kilos of banana... more banana aroma then anything. Nice beer.

Latest posts

Back