Banana Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katherine

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody has a recipe for a banana beer. A friend liked drinking it in Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) and would like to brew it for his girlfriend to get her off the TURKEY!

I vaguely remember Ross has done one... any suggestions welcome!

If the smell coming out of my fermenter is any indication I have a wit recipe that should please.

we have a winner - link

edit: also on Ross' beer
My kegged Banana Amber (made with 2kg of bananas in 12L of beer) was great from day one - but after 2 months the aroma started to subside & after 4 months it started to take on the flavour of over ripe banannas - so my advice is enjoy young...

cheers Ross

Cheers... CM2

I knew he had done one... and yes I did search!

No worries Katie

i used the AHB search, then found 'banana amber' then needed to use the google search.

I dont think the search looks at the recipe database. not sure.

So Ive suggested to my friend a Amber Ale with banana... He is now thinking along the lines of a wheat beer and banana (im nearly gagging, I dont like wheat beer as it is) wouldnt that be to over powering?

I think this is the beer he was drinking in Africa

banana_beer.jpg

I'm entering a couple of Australian Pale ale / sparkling ales in a comp shortly and I keep reading that 'pear' esters are typical and indeed sought after, so I've got myself a 800ml can of pear juice and I'm going to put that in one of them and ferment cool to see what happens :icon_cheers: more than one way to skin a cat, hey.

Troydo at BABBs made a potato beer, I reckon banana would be brilliant.

Just culture up some Coopers pale/sparkling ale yeast and use it to ferment a brew at 22C and you will gets lots of banana.
I know, Ive done it, twice.
Kept the temps down to 18C the second time and the banana was still there but not as pronounced

I'm entering a couple of Australian Pale ale / sparkling ales in a comp shortly and I keep reading that 'pear' esters are typical and indeed sought after, so I've got myself a 800ml can of pear juice and I'm going to put that in one of them and ferment cool to see what happens :icon_cheers: more than one way to skin a cat, hey.

Bribie,

Just remember the winner gets to brew the beer commercially - The cost of 100 to 200 cans of pear juice might not sit to well with the brewery :unsure:

cheers Ross

Hi I regularly drank bananna bread beer while i was in england was a lot nicer than it sounds will be interested to see where this thread goes

Katie,

This is a recipe similar to Charles Wells Bananabread Bitter that I made - Tasty drop.

Bananabread Bitter
Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Type: All Grain
Date: 8/02/2008
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 84.00

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 61.36 %
0.70 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 15.91 %
0.40 kg Brown Malt (145.0 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
0.40 kg Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 4.55 %
20.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (15 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
40.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.50 kg Banana (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 33.8 IBU
Est Color: 27.4 EBC Color: Color

cheers Ross

Katie,

This is a recipe similar to Charles Wells Bananabread Bitter that I made - Tasty drop.

Bananabread Bitter
Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Type: All Grain
Date: 8/02/2008
Batch Size: 27.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 35.31 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 84.00

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 61.36 %
0.70 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 15.91 %
0.40 kg Brown Malt (145.0 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
0.40 kg Maize, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.09 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 4.55 %
20.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
30.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (15 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
40.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.50 kg Banana (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 33.8 IBU
Est Color: 27.4 EBC Color: Color

cheers Ross

cheers Ross... I have forwarded the your amber banana rec to him but he wants a wheat beer. Wouldnt that be to overpowering???? Its for his girlfriend who hates beer and nothing bitter.

Bribie,

Just remember the winner gets to brew the beer commercially - The cost of 100 to 200 cans of pear juice might not sit to well with the brewery :unsure:

cheers Ross

In which case, we slap a posh label on an odd shaped bottle, call it limited, and sell it for $25 a pop... sound familiar?

I would sooner use banana lollies than real bananas.
pt_418.jpeg

Having said that.. who made that excellent Red Skin beer I had a few years back?

Bribie,
cheers Ross

Nah I wouldn't do that to them :lol: I'll put it in our own minicomp. However, Ross, on that point - most of the entrants would, more than likely, be using yeast cultured from Coopers bottles. Coopers state that they don't mind home brewers trying out their yeast but how would that work with a commercial brewer pinching their yeast? So is there another yeast that is very similar to Coopers, say in the Wyeast range?? Otherwise the commercially brewed batch would not be a 'clone' of the entrant's winning beer.

Nah I wouldn't do that to them :lol: I'll put it in our own minicomp. However, Ross, on that point - most of the entrants would, more than likely, be using yeast cultured from Coopers bottles. Coopers state that they don't mind home brewers trying out their yeast but how would that work with a commercial brewer pinching their yeast? So is there another yeast that is very similar to Coopers, say in the Wyeast range?? Otherwise the commercially brewed batch would not be a 'clone' of the entrant's winning beer.

The Coopers yeast is available at micro brewery level, so no problem.

cheers ross

cheers Ross... I have forwarded the your amber banana rec to him but he wants a wheat beer. Wouldnt that be to overpowering???? Its for his girlfriend who hates beer and nothing bitter.

The amber beer would be perfect, it's not bitter, or drop the IBU's to 25 on the Bananabread beer. That said, just brew them a wheatie with WY3068, they'll get all the banana they need.

cheers Ross

It was the good Reverend, I do believe, and/or his cohort Jaydub.
That was mighty.
Bright pink, too.

I wonder if they would like to share that recipe with me.

I read a recipe from years back where someone used Apple lollies for a Lambic.

The amber beer would be perfect, it's not bitter, or drop the IBU's to 25 on the Bananabread beer. That said, just brew them a wheatie with WY3068, they'll get all the banana they need.

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross... yeah Im thinking the amber. I will do a double brew day and leave the banana out on ours.

Back