Bairds Pearl Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Has anyone used this stuff? What do you think?

Im a big fan of Golden Promise and Maris otter, but keen to know what to expect from Pearl? Apparantly its a bit more nuetral and lacking the nutty character of maris otter...

Thoughts?

Edit : Ive just noticed it can also be spelt Perle malt which is why I probably couldnt find anything the 1st time <_<

according to CB it sits between GP and MO in the flavour profile...

I have used it and id say its in between MO and GP.

Definatly a bit more neutral like an Aussie ale malt but very nice indeed.

i would recomend it

cheers

Has anyone used this stuff? What do you think?

Im a big fan of Golden Promise and Maris otter, but keen to know what to expect from Pearl? Apparantly its a bit more nuetral and lacking the nutty character of maris otter...

Thoughts?

Edit : Ive just noticed it can also be spelt Perle malt which is why I probably couldnt find anything the 1st time <_<

Rev

I have a bag of it myself but am yet to taste the results. I have a dubbel I need to rack in the next week or so that has 45% Pearl in the grainbill. I've heard similar things to you. I'd expect it to be more like Golden Promise than Maris Otter in its actual character.

I've got a bitter slotted in for it in the next week or so. I can let you know then.

Edit: Just saw Tony & Sammus's comments. They look more helpful.

Warren -

I have used it and id say its in between MO and GP.

Definatly a bit more neutral like an Aussie ale malt but very nice indeed.

i would recomend it

cheers

Wicked! I actually miss Aussie ale malt, I made a kick ass IPA with it when we were getting some over here.. Then some genius brought out NZ Pilsner malt and the suppliers stopped getting the aussie stuff :(

So when you say between MO and GP, Maris is quite nutty where as I find GP quite honeyish - is there any specific character I can expect from it?

Back