Bairds Soft Red Wheat Malt (Torrifed Wheat Malt)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKBrews

Reaction score
Can anyone shed more light on what this grain actually is? I can't even find information on the Bairds website. Whenever I input "Torrified Wheat" into beersmith, it says it's an un-malted grain and under the Bairds grains it doesn't exist.

I have about a kilo of it, which I was going to pair with some Maris Otter (90% MO, 10% wheat) with lots of late Ella and Galaxy). Want to get my recipe right in BS!

Torrified wheat is unmalted wheat that's been heat treated to break down the cellular structure which gives it its puffed appearance, but more importantly allows for rapid hydration and allows easier access by malt enzymes to the starches for conversion into sugars. It's typically used in English ales at 5% to 10% to aid head retention and mouthfeel. It needs to be cracked and, as far as I am aware, added to the mash

Torrified wheat is unmalted wheat that's been heat treated to break down the cellular structure which gives it its puffed appearance, but more importantly allows for rapid hydration and allows easier access by malt enzymes to the starches for conversion into sugars. It's typically used in English ales at 5% to 10% to aid head retention and mouthfeel. It needs to be cracked and, as far as I am aware, added to the mash
I might just chuck it in at 10% with the Maris Otter then and see how it turns out.... thanks.

Latest posts

Back