Bad taste after Cold Condtion.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Forky

Reaction score
OK here's the deal.

Had a AG DSGA in the fridge at about 3c after CC for 3 days, 2 weeks total in FV. Had a half a glass tester in the morning and was in heaven. Couldn't buy a better beer. Took it out and placed it on the bottling cupboard. Went out for the day and came back and bottled that night, the temperature of the beer 17c.

Half way through the bottling I took another half glass for hydrometer purposes (because I couldn't stop drinking my original test glass), and tasted the dreaded infection.

I continued bottling after having a sulk for a while.

I used US05 if it means anything. Could it just be byproducts of the beer heating up too fast? Ideas?

manticle said:
Describe the taste as best you can.
How every beer I've had infected starts to taste. Not right. Not clean. Off. Sorry mate, that's all I got. From experience, it tastes like over time it is going get worse. It tastes like the foothold of an infection.

Leave it for 3 months.

I'm a newbie but I have read that some bad bi-products can appear after bottling which requires time to clean itself up.

A beer that is warm at 17c is not going to taste as nice as one thats at 3c.

I had Diacetyl appear in a stout after bottling. Left it at room temperature for 1 month and the Diacetyl was gone.

Look up a list of common off flavours and see if there's any that come close in terms of description.
Infections have different causes and subsequently different flavour contributions.

Brew Forky said:
OK here's the deal.

Had a AG DSGA in the fridge at about 3c after CC for 3 days, 2 weeks total in FV. Had a half a glass tester in the morning and was in heaven. Couldn't buy a better beer. Took it out and placed it on the bottling cupboard. Went out for the day and came back and bottled that night, the temperature of the beer 17c.

Half way through the bottling I took another half glass for hydrometer purposes (because I couldn't stop drinking my original test glass), and tasted the dreaded infection.

I continued bottling after having a sulk for a while.

I used US05 if it means anything. Could it just be byproducts of the beer heating up too fast? Ideas?
Ah, US-05, I hate this yeast.
My last two beers have been done with US-05 & I can taste a slight corny or plasticity type taste. No, it's not DMS or any type of infection.
I can detect it when you burp & it's definitely the yeast. The third beer, same recipe, same everything using Wyeast 1056, no such taste, it's the US-05.
I didn't rehydrate & although you don't have to, I wont be using it again.

Thanks for the replies. I'll let them carb up and try one on the weekend and try to get a better flavour description. i just thought it strange that a beer can be all good and then go downhill in so little time.

Probably when you took it out and let it warm up a bit to 17C some residual yeast either got stirred up or kicked off a little fermentation. You probably just got a bit more yeast than desired in the second taster glass.

Let it condition, then keep it cool and let the yeast settle out and I reckon it'll be fine

Cracked one. OK, I may or may not have over reacted. I think you may be right Argon. Unless i have super powers that allow me to see future infections, (I might have, follow this thread) it's time for me to sit down and evaluate my relax and have a home brew attitude. Even with my spotless sanitation, I have had more infections than normal and I often think the brew infected until it proves it's not. I thought i would chronicle the Worlds fastest infection, but alas (hooray), just tastes like 1 week old beer in a bottle.

I'm still not convinced..............

Back